Any other tablets you guys looking to buy other than iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hcho3, Jan 4, 2011.

1. hcho3 macrumors 68030

What other tablets are you guys looking to buy or can't wait to get your hands on? Please discuss.

2. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I will do exactly the same as I have done with all my computing, TV, electronics purchases over the years.

I will buy the device which I thinks offers me the best experience for the things I wish to do.

I will be totally honest, and admit, I dislike (I could say hate) the way Apple now is more and more so a controlling company. Especially funny when you watch that old advert where they are saying Buy Apple to break free of the control.

Everyone, even on these forums has different needs for any product.

The reason I have an iPad is, like many, there is no other worthwhile option FOR ME at the moment.

In a few years time I may be the happy owner of an iPad3 or 4, or I may have an Android/Palm/Linux/Touch Windows/ Or something else device.

I don't know as my future dream product does no exist.

I don't imagine my personal dream product will ever exist as we will all have to live with some compromises in any device we have.

So, in answer to your question, I'm not as yet looking any further ahead than to see what the iPad2 will offer. I personally feel Android might pick up speed and have a very great future in tablets, but it will probably be 2012 before I'd think Android tablets have started to settle and find their feet.

If I could drag/drop files to a tablet, without needing to sync via iTunes that would be a big plus as I've got no real desire to use iTunes apart from being forced to.

I await the future with great interest. :)

3. jdcell100 macrumors regular

Nothing out there comes close to iPad. Don't waste yr money on anything else this thing is effen amazing

4. hcho3 thread starter macrumors 68030

5. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Instead of getting a cheap portable DVD player, I'm looking to get a small 7" tablet for my daughter to watch movies on long car trips. I'll probably hold out for another year or so until prices drop and she's about old enough to play some games on it. iPad would be overkill for this.

Right now, we just give her our iPhones and she sits it in her lap and watches contently for an hour or so. If Fisher-Price came out with a tablet I could load up with movie rips, I'd buy it yesterday!

6. Zoreke macrumors member

tablet

Hi, my wife has an ipad and she's happy with it, I'm a graphic designer and I need some sketch pad so I bough sketchbook pro and a little stylus to give it a try.

It works fine but I'm used to photoshop, painter and illustrator so my next tablet will be the axiotron modbook which is basically a portable wacom tablet with full mac osX and my graphic software.

But that's me I'm a graphic artist so my needs are different...

Cheers :D

7. MrWillie, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

What about it ? Is it for sale yet? Isn't that the one that is supposed to run Win7 ? If it is, why would is success, be any different than any other Windows tablet made in the last 10 years?

Edit: I went to Blackberry's website. Ok, RIM OS. But it's a widescreen. How does 1024x600 constitute a high def display.

I also like the way they advertise Flash support. Actually I feel that the web on the iPad and iMac (with click to flash, and I NEVER click) is the way to go.

Still not yet available for sale. I have a feeling I will be iPading for a loooooong time.

8. iTouch.lover22 macrumors regular

I reckon for an all purpose tablet, you can't beat the iPad right now. Not by a long shot. But that could possibly change with CES this week :)

9. Claerion macrumors member

The notion ink adam looks solid. It's the only device that I would even consider other than the iPad.

However, the company does not have any other devices and this is their first version of it so the build quality, tech support along with other concerns that go with new companies are a bit of a turn off...

http://www.notionink.com/

10. Synthion macrumors regular

An infant trend

As of yet, the RIM playbook looks promising but directed at business, any android tablets out there already are kidding themselves, ANDROID IS NOT READY FOR TABLETS, barely for phones, windows 7 should not be dismissed, the exoPC looks pretty good, Android 3.0 looks great, probably enough to draw my attention away from ios. Apple is going to have to innovate, nothing new for them though! :D

11. Muscleflex macrumors 6502

Phone contract finished a while back and was waiting for white iPhone to come out but since it wont be out anymore, I'm thinking of getting a galaxy tab. Dont want to get a black iPhone as everyone now has one. :(

12. lilo777 macrumors 603

Asus Eee Pad Transformer

Have you seen information about incoming Asus Eee Pad Transformer? It looks interesting. It looks like it bests current iPad in many categories and might be a good choice for those who needs a large tablet (as opposed to 7" tablets)

13. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Yep, not even a working prototype (I am guessing). When you enlarge the pics, you can see a Windows key.

I wonder how the Transformer will go over with Apple?

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...ns-multiple-touch-macbook-tablet-patents.html

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes...

14. lilo777 macrumors 603

The patent is about API not the design of the keyboard. Besides this type of folding may be implemented in many different ways. HTC Shift already uses this type of keyboard. Also, it's Eee Slider - not Transformer :)

15. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Actually, it's both. Two similar models.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Is this Fisher-Price enough for you? :D

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/ma...let-powered-by-android/ID=prod6047418-product

17. Err0xx macrumors member

Don't put iPad on too high of a pedestal.

Might wanna check out some of the ASUS tablets revealed at CES today... Engadget had excellent coverage of em. They look pretty dang hardcore, especially their slide tablet. Very powerful devices.

18. superericla macrumors 6502

From what I've seen I think I'll really like the NotionInk Adam.

19. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

20. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

21. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

22. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Hell if I could tether via MyWi with it I'd buy it for the kids in an instant.

23. IamKris macrumors newbie

I'm still deciding between the iPad and tha Galaxy tab. The Tab price is just right for me but the iPad 3g version which I need comes at a heftier price.. I could shell out some extra money for the 32gb version but that would take a while longer :(

24. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Yep. Easy to limit their usage to 30-45 minutes cause the battery dies.

25. redshift1 macrumors regular

The Motorola Tablet looks interesting running Honeycomb OS for Android.

Announcement planned for Jan 5th.