Any others camping AT&T for July 2 walk-in shipment?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Domino8282, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Just curious if I'm the only one. Called AT&T yesterday and he said they're getting a "small shipment" today (July 2) around 10-10:30, first-come, first-serve. Anybody else hear this? It's 3 minutes till 9 and I'm the only one here except for some older dude with a crap phone looking at me like I'm insane.

2. Domino8282 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

They're open. Just walked in and verified from another employee who said it would be closer to 11am. Now I feel like a jackass standing around because the only other customers here are getting phones fixed, etc. How do you kill two hours at an AT&T store without seeming creepy?

3. anng12 macrumors member

Play with the demo and Facetime with 1888 FACETIME

4. Domino8282 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Haha... I think that may still qualify as creepy. Seriously though, with all the iPhone hysteria I can't believe I'm the only one in my *town* who heard about this shipment, let alone the only one on these forums.

When I told the AT&T employee I was just here to wait on the shipment, he looked at me with a combination of pity and loathing. Poor guy. Oh well, I guess if I actually walk out of here around 11 with a phone I won't feel quite as lame...

Now the question is whether to tell my wife that they just got a shipment of 32GB to justify the extra expense...

5. felixthea macrumors newbie

Does this apply for all cities? I'm in NYC and haven't had any luck finding an iPhone after visiting 4 different stores in Midtown.

Help?

6. djgulia macrumors 6502

7. Domino8282 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Sill waiting here in Knoxville, TN. Store reps still claim to be "hopeful more will be on today's shipment." I assume they wouldn't be telling people this unless they were fairly certain since they're obviously not psyched about having me here waiting.

8. inlvnv macrumors member

Hope you get one today, sounds like you've earned it.

9. Domino8282 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Thanks I'll let everyone know... Shipment still hasn't arrived. It'll either be totally worth the wait or I'll feel like a complete idiot if none are on the truck and I waited 3 hours for nothing.

10. dmelgar macrumors 68000

No.

Why would anyone buy a phone Apple admits is lousy at reception if you touch it.

Apple says... Return the phone!

Even better, if you haven't bought it... DO NOT BUY IT.

There are many competitors available now that are good and can be held and even make phone calls!

11. dgstan macrumors 6502a

Sorry, but is this the first time you've ever dealt with someone from AT&T? There are two types of AT&T employees:

1. The ones who are lying.
    2. The ones who don't know anything.

Good Luck.

12. xmtgx macrumors regular

Including the ip4, I havent had a single issue with mine.

13. xXMaxxyXx macrumors newbie

Hopefully they aren't lying.

I talked to two AT&T stores and they both said the city was out of them.

and they are far apart.

As for people that are complaining about phone call quality.

If you can't make a phone call. Get a phone that only makes phone calls.

I only like it because it goes on the internet and has a decent amount of good games.

I usually call people if we go out or anything.

@dmelgar
    Because it's not just used for phone calling.

14. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Try another borough? You expect to find the iPhone 4 in one of the most densely populated areas in the world?

15. Domino8282 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Several others are waiting now. Reps are still telling people they are expecting a shipment today. Had a brief moment of excitement when FedEx arrived with boxes, but apparently it's UPS we are waiting on (they cracked open all the FedEx boxes to be sure).

16. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

Fed Ex just delivers there accessories :)

lol, what a tease.

17. Domino8282 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Important question: where does one pee while camping a shipment? Darn this AT&T for being in a tiny shopping center with no restaurants, etc.

18. Savage macrumors 6502

Savage

Behind the store or next to your car.

19. felixthea macrumors newbie

I will definitely try that :). I guess I put too much faith in thinking Apple would skew shipment sizes to reflect the size of their DMAs.

20. Stay Tuned macrumors member

Have you even been to your local Best Buy or Apple store to check? I was in both the other day and they both had 'plenty' of phones in stock. I was watching people walk in and buy phones while I was there.

21. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

ask them to reserve it for you, then go eat somewhere or go to the mall until they call you.

22. dmelgar macrumors 68000

I guess its also a fashion statement. Hey everyone, look at me, proud to use my defective phone! I can't even read Apple's press release and understand they admit its broken and they won't fix it. Hey they're even going to show me fewer bars. That makes me feel great. Let me stand in the longest line too. Sign me up!

23. dmelgar macrumors 68000

I felt sorry for folks who stood in line waiting for what sounded like a great phone who didn't realize that the phone had a fundamental design defect.

But I can't imagine anyone who actually, intentionally buys a phone, knowing full well how defective it is, and that Apple won't fix it. It is not going to be a positive fashion statement.

24. xXMaxxyXx macrumors newbie

Ok, I'm going to follow what you said.

I bought the iPhone 4. I can't make phone calls because I cup the phone too tightly around both of my hands.

I return it and forget about the features on the phone.

That's what your trying to say. I don't agree.

25. kits macrumors member

Since not everyone is reporting problems I still went ahead and bought one as I wanted to stay with AT&T (GSM preference so I can try out all the cool unlocked phones out there). Unfortunately, I am having issues with my phone but am not going to exchange as almost everything else AT&T offers is crap right now.

Since I can't deal with the issue I just sold my iPhone4 on ebay so I can fund my cravings for unlocked Android phones. To my surprise AT&T changed my unlimited data plan to $15 one as I am currently using a temporary old candy bar phone. I thought $30 is mandatory plan as I got iPhone for discounted price.