Any outlet to buy an Apple laptop from w/ non-country keyboard other than Apple website or Reseller?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fruitninja, Feb 23, 2017.

1. fruitninja macrumors regular

fruitninja

Let me explain, as the title only allows for 100 chars, hence may not be descriptive (my limited English): On Apple.com/country, in about every country Apple sells laptops, you can configure it with about 8 or so different keyboards. Besides the default US English, also British English, Spanish, and Japanese in the US, for example.

In all the non-English speaking European countries, you can configure the laptop with GB/International (ISO), and US English (ANSI) keyboards as well. So far so good.

However, as I understand, you have no option to configure an Apple laptop with any custom keyboard option (other than the Apple website or an Authorized/Premium Reseller), such as Amazon (in the US, Amazon is an official reseller), Best Buy, WalMart, and their European equivalents, and the Apple online Refurbished store - so usually any of the avenues from where you can expect some saving compared to paying full retail. At least, I haven't found any option. Not even at B&H Photo Video - the only place I expected to truly offer options. Please, correct me if I'm wrong!

I have no idea for example how popular buys are Apple laptops with Spanish keyboard layouts in the US, hence how often, if ever they end up being offered in the Apple online Refurbished store when returned.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

You aren't wrong if you want a custom keyboard you'll have to buy one from Apple or wait for one to come up second hand on eBay etc. Refurbished are probably just refurbed with a US keyboard.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yikes, you shouldn't need a hundred characters - I'd recommend something like this: Retailer other then apple to purchase a custom (non-US) keyboard

That is correct retailers buy standard configurations of Macs from Apple and sell them, if you want something other then a standard configuration (a custom keyboard) you need to through apple directly.

Part of the issue is places like B&H Video, how often will they sell a non-us keyboard, and should they take up precious stock place for such an event that may rarely occur? They'll be looking to use their limited space to reach the majority of customers., if that makes sense.

4. fruitninja thread starter macrumors regular

fruitninja

That is, if you live in a US-centric world. I'm not. ;)

So how about fitting into 100 characters then?

Just for clarification: have you ever seen an Apple laptop with a non-default-national keyboard popping up in the Apple Refurbished selection on their home page? As people buy laptops with non-standard keyboards on the Apple website, some percentage of these machines are returned. Interestingly, I've never seen these machines refurbished, though.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not sure why you needed to include a link complaining about US tourists, doesn't really pertain to the discussion.

I provided an example of what would work, and not be overly lengthy.

Tbh, I don't look for one because I don't need one. I offered up some advice insofar that you're only option AFAIK, is to go through apple (non-refurb if none are there).

Good luck on finding a machine that matches your budget.

6. fruitninja thread starter macrumors regular

fruitninja

To make it a relevant and useful question to quite a few people, I wanted to ask this in a truly country-agnostic fashion. Does that make sense? Well, I still don't know how I should have asked this in 100 characters.

Somehow I felt it relevant. In fact, I find it applicable to quite a few situations. I'm sorry about that.

Thanks for running this forum for us, by the way!