Any pictures of a the black 5 with ALL the black removed off the chamfer?

yegon

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Out of sick curiosity really, interested to see what it looks like. Admittedly, pretty obvious what it'll look like but still.

Chimopaul

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2011
You can strip the anodizing rather easily (after stripping out the components) with chemicals, however, I would not recommend it. The anodizing is an electrical insulator and the case dimensions will be slightly smaller. Untreated Al will scratch easily and get dull quickly.

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
You can strip the anodizing rather easily (after stripping out the components) with chemicals, however, I would not recommend it. The anodizing is an electrical insulator and the case dimensions will be slightly smaller. Untreated Al will scratch easily and get dull quickly.
The chamfer is not anodized but rather just paint. Thats how they created the difference in textures and why it scratches so easily.

yegon

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Haha, no, I'm not trying it. Mines been naked since launch, yet to have a ding and Im not particularly precious with it.

Last edited:

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Wont be long before an owner gets out the green pad scourer to buff it up like they started doing on the back of the 3gs and ipod touch.

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
That article's section on the iPhone 5 finish is filled with gross errors- some of which were corrected after I posted about it here.

Bad choice for reference. The chamfers are anodized in the same operation as the rest of the unibody.
How then did they get the glossy finish for the chamfer? From what I know of anodizing its always a dull finish.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
How then did they get the glossy finish for the chamfer? From what I know of anodizing its always a dull finish.
That is not correct. Many consumer items have a polished anodize finish.

A relatively thin anodize coating is required to maintain the level of glossy finish on the chamfers.

If type 2 anodize is done on 6000 series polished aluminum the anodize will be glossy.

Apple's vendor is first CNC machining the interior of the unibody unit, then the exterior radii are cut, the entire surface is beadblasted, and then the chamfers are cut to a R125 finish spec. After that, the unit is deoxidized and anodized.

Many of the reported cosmetic problems are caused by the handling required between the chamfer operation and the finishing process.

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
That is not correct. Many consumer items have a polished anodize finish.

A relatively thin anodize coating is required to maintain the level of glossy finish on the chamfers.

If type 2 anodize is done on 6000 series polished aluminum the anodize will be glossy.

Ahhh I see. My knowledge on anodizing is to the extent of just seeing the finished product on car parts. Haha

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
I work as an engineer for a company with the largest automatic anodize line in North America and have anodized many items at home. You can do it with a 5 gallon bucket, rectifier and appropriate chemicals.

So I do know a little about the subject.

TechnoPancake

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Kingwood, TX
I decided to go to the Photoshops for this.

Now before any criticism, I am well aware that this is an awful job. I spent all of 5 minutes with the lasso tool working on this. I just figured it could give people the idea without actually ruining any more iphones haha. That being said heres what it could look like:

Not bad, but not that great either if you ask me.

Roofy.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2009
I am actually looking forward to seeing a completely worn black iphone 5. Remember that picture awhile back of the original iphone completely beaten and scratched up? It reminded my of a vintage '59 Strat. I think the iphone 5 will look just as good all worn out.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I'm spending ££ in order to keep the phone's surrounding bezel black, and avoiding scratches....The thought of taking sandpaper to it fills me with horror. I like to keep my devices as Apple made them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.