Any possibilities of stick a silver bezel on my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by croasan, Jul 23, 2014.

1. croasan macrumors newbie

croasan

Hi guys!

I have an early 2011 MBP with hi-res screen (1680x1050). I regret not having bought the antiglare version... every day. But now, I decided to put a silver bezel (just for aesthetics) on my computer. There are a few ebay sellers that provide the original bezel (only the alluminium), and I don't know if it can be sticked above the actual glass of my MBP.

What do you think?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The tolerances are so tight between the screen and bottom case and the bezel is designed to fit inside the case, means that it won't work. Personally, I like the black bezel over the silver but that's just me.

Basically there's no way to get it on your MBP over the display. You're best bet is to fully disassemble the display and use the silver bezel, though you risk damaging the computer at that point.

3. croasan thread starter macrumors newbie

croasan

It's the answer i feared...but thanks :)

I discovered this web (http://www.precioustore.com/macbook-pro/black-macbook-pro-23.html) that sell a sticker to convert your silver bezel into a black one, just the opposite of what I want...

4. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

You would have to buy the entire outer screen bezel from a MacBook Pro with the anti-glare. This would remove the plastic screen that covers your current MacBook Pro screen.

In the end it's not worth it as its not really a servicable part unless you know what your doing.

5. SarcasticJoe Suspended

SarcasticJoe

In unibody machines the glass does double duty also as a structural element that keeps the screen assembly rigid (as the aluminium is surprisingly thin). With the antiglare machines that have this they also had to put in strenghtening beams to keep the rigidity.

So if the set you're looking at has those beams, it should be possible to do the conversion. However not without considerable effort as the unibody Macbook Pro screen assembly was never designed to be taken apart and thus uses quite a lot of glue, which you'll have to remove and re-apply.

Thus I'd only recommend this if you're good at this sort of thing because of how difficult it is to take the screen apart without breaking anything. A much easier way to get the same end result is to just buy a whole high-res-antiglare screen assembly from someone selling the working parts of a broken machine and install it into your machine.

However be advised that this will not work with regular res (1440x900) machines as the connector going to the motherboard is different on the regular res machines.

6. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

I've had the screen replaced in a previous 13" aluminum unibody MacBook I owned though not without considerable effort, as you say the screen protector has to come off first. The screen and screen protector as you say are surprisingly flimsy.

7. croasan thread starter macrumors newbie

croasan

Thank you all for answer :)

Replace the screen or the glass isn't a viable work for me (I just want the aesthetic of silver bezel), so I'll find a sticker for the glass of my MBP. The problem is that nobody seems to want a silver bezel and probably I'll have to take a DIY solution :D