Any possible way to share wifi connection through wifi in Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by tyrell456, Jan 11, 2012.

1. tyrell456 macrumors member

Alright, for some background, I'm a college student living in the dorms. The internet connection here uses a login system that works perfectly fine with my MacBook Pro and Android phone, but doesn't work with other things like my Kindle or 3DS - they don't recognize the security type and won't let me connect.

I used to have a Windows 7 laptop, and there's a little utility for Win7 called Connectify that let's you take the wifi connection you're using and share it through wifi - so I could set up a WPA connection through my laptop that my 3DS and Kindle could access.

However, OS X doesn't seem to support this feature, and only lets you share an ethernet connection through wifi, and won't let you share a wifi connection through wifi. My room doesn't have an ethernet jack (yes, I know, it's incredibly irritating) so the only option is wifi.

Is there any app or utility for OS X that will let me share my wifi connection that my MBP is connected to through wifi? It's really annoying having absolutely no way to access the internet on my Kindle and 3DS and I've been searching everywhere for some way to restore this connection that Win7 offered me before.

2. malonesm macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure that it's not possible due to hardware limitations b/c there's no way to be connected to two wifi connections simultaneously with only one antenna. sorry bro.

It may be possible to get a cheap usb wifi stick and do it that way however.

3. tyrell456 thread starter macrumors member

That's what I was afraid of, but I had hoped if my old cheap Compaq laptop could, my $1000+ MBP would be able to do it.