Any programs to extract just the vocals or the singer's voice with the lyrics?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by maxdawg2002002, Jul 8, 2008.

1. maxdawg2002002 macrumors newbie

Any programs to extract just the vocals or the singer's voice with the lyrics?

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

This is very close to impossible. Even if you had a program to attempt it you would get background noise from other instruments. What do you need this for?

3. maxdawg2002002 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm making a compilation / remix for one of my friends bands to add to this movie, and things would be drastically easier with a program that would do this than having to re-record everything.

If it is "almost" impossible, how could I almost do something like this with Garageband or even any other music program, regardless of cost

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

The only way to do it perfect is if you had the original multi-track recording, then you just remove all tracks except for the vocal track. Every other piece of software out there that attempts to cut everything else out does so by frequencies. So any time instrument frequencies are the same as vocal frequencies you'll still get the instrument sounds and there's a very good chance you'll lose some of the vocals too. Even "good" software sucks at doing this. If it's a friend's band, why not ask for the multi-track recording or just have them re-record the vocals only?

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

This exact question was asked only a couple of days ago. That thread has some great technical answers on why this is difficult/impossible.

6. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

When he says it's almost impossible, he means that it is.

To remove a vocal track from a mixed-down song, it would require that you remove a certain frequency range at all times. The only problem with that is those frequencies are shared by other instruments. Also, it will end up making the vocals sound like they're singing through paper towel rolls.

If you want to get just the vocal track, then you need to just either re-record everything else or you need to get the original MULTI-TRACK recording. With this, you can just take out whatever you need to take out. That is, unless it was recorded live, then you out of luck.

As he said, impossible. Just about.

With Garageband? Lightyears past impossible. Pro Tools would even give you a LOT of trouble to just "take out the vocals."

7. hob macrumors 68020

hob

I've seen this done recently. I'll try and find out what it was called.