Any quiet fan noise Macbook pro 13" 2011 owners out there?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BlingBling, Mar 28, 2011.

1. BlingBling macrumors member

BlingBling

Are there any owners of 13' 2011 Macbook Pro's out there? Where after using hd webcam and perhaps having some flash sites open the fans don't go to 6000 rpm!

I own a first gen macbook pro 15" and wanted an upgrade to a smaller form factor with the new hd webcam. I record a lot of video with voice and it's important for the laptop to be silent while I'm talking. So I went and bought a new macbook pro 13" and started recording with the hd webcam using quicktime (with all other apps closed) and the fans started kicking in to 6000 rpm ruining the whole experience. Returned it and ordered another one online, crossing my fingers, but expecting the same.

I don't want to resort to buying a cooling pad(an extra thing to carry around) and getting the quiet previous gen 2010 is only a savings of 150 which kinda sucks. I hear the 15"'s are quiet, but it's out of my price range and I prefer the 13" form factor. I've looked at the airs, but I need a bigger hard drive and they don't have the hd webcam. Really frustrated and I know this is a common complaint about the new Macbooks.

So any owners of a quiet 2011 Macbook Pro 13" out there to give me hope??

2. josh2007 macrumors member

You haven't said what your CPU temps are. There is usually a reason for those fans kicking in.

3. us2000ua macrumors newbie

13" mbp 2011

Same here. When you run 1080p youtube or slideshow in iPhoto, fan goes to 6200 rpm, CPU temp 85-90. :mad:

4. BlingBling thread starter macrumors member

BlingBling

I said I was recording video+audio using facetime camera in quicktime with all other apps closed. I even minimized the viewing window so it wouldn't tax the display.

The fans maxed out 15 seconds into the session.

This is not acceptable for me. I can live with a hot mac, but not with the fans spinning at 6000 rpm while I'm recording audio. I didn't grab the heat specs, but I imagine it is very hot.

I don't have this problem with my previous Macs.

I want to know if anyone out there has a new 13" Mac that has somehow don't have this problem while under this kind of load.

5. aCondor, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011

aCondor macrumors 6502

I have the 13" Base 2011 MBP. Haven't had any problems with high fan speed or excessive heat.

Keep in mind that the HD webcam increases the strain of the laptop by several magnitudes. It is not uncommon for temperatures to rise and fans to kick in during recording sessions.

The Intel Graphics is the culprit here, as the 13" is a mobile workstation - with mobile being more important than other features.

Hopefully your incoming replacement will fare better.

Just FYI: I had FaceTime running in the background and temperatures hovered between 52-53C and fan speed at 2003rpm. This is from running FaceTime with no applications running in background.

I would imagine that if I started FaceTime after heavy use, with temperatures >70C, the fans would kick in to a greater extent.

6. josh2007 macrumors member

I gocha. I ran a test in Logic using 35 softsynths, 35 reverbs, 35 compressors, 35 something elses and 35 more something elses. After looping for a few minutes (on MAXED OUT cpu) my temps reached 80c, and fans got up to 3500.

I've yet to get my book fannier than this. My old 2.53 dualcore 15" constantly got 6000rpm watching videos.

7. BlingBling thread starter macrumors member

BlingBling

Thanks for the posts. This gives me hope of finding a quiet macbook that won't erupt into a leaf blower from simply recording video.

I'm writing this on my 2006 MacbookPro 15" humming along at 73 Celsius with the fans barely at 2000 rpm with just a browser open.

8. 1quick1 macrumors member

When I had the 13'' it was whisper quiet unless running that World of Warcraft 10 trial game or Starcraft 2 demo and than it would be really loud.

9. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

I've been recording for the past 5 minutes in quicktime with my 13" base model and its stayed cool and dead silent fans still at 2000rpm. Comparing to my old 2006 macbook this thing is freezing, amazingly even when watching multiple high def videos, temps do get hot to 80+ degrees but the fans only reach 4000 rpm max, I used to set that as an idling speed on my old macbook just to keep it under 60 degrees.

Looks like your first mbp was a dud and hope you had better luck with your next one.

10. dnakad macrumors newbie

Same here...

Having the same issues after replacement, did yours fix this BlingBling?

/Daniel