Any radio players (BBC) for Watch OS6 that don't need iPhone.

Fozziebear40

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
Newton-le-Willows, England
Hi, all the radio apps I have still require the iPhone to be connected. I believe OS6 will allow apps to play audio directly to AirPods from the watch without the need to take your iPhone with you. Any out yet please?

ledzepfan1981

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2015
There’s a default Radio app on the Watch, but it only lets you listen to the Beats station without an Apple Music subscription. It does let you listen to it through AirPods though.

scottct1

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2012
Connecticut USA
Apple advertised thousands of online streaming stations from TuneIn, IheartRadio, Spotify and others on your Apple Watch with iOS 6 without needing your iPhone and none are available yet.

This has been one of the worst rollouts of a new OS that I can remember.

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
Apple advertised thousands of online streaming stations from TuneIn, IheartRadio, Spotify and others on your Apple Watch with iOS 6 without needing your iPhone and none are available yet.

This has been one of the worst rollouts of a new OS that I can remember.
I saw your other post listing various news/rumor sites discussing the possibility of this, particularly with the API add ons.

I didn't see where you cited Apple claiming these services would provide radio streaming at launch though.

Could you point that out for me please?

Feek

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2009
I put my phone into flight mode and said "Hey Siri, play BBC Radio two" and the watch did it. It's all built in, works perfectly.

scottct1

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2012
Connecticut USA
I saw your other post listing various news/rumor sites discussing the possibility of this, particularly with the API add ons.

I didn't see where you cited Apple claiming these services would provide radio streaming at launch though.

Could you point that out for me please?

But in typing this. I turned off my iPhone and said to Siri on my Series 4 Apple Watch "Play Fun Tower Radio

Reactions: RedGT

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US

But in typing this. I turned off my iPhone and said to Siri on my Series 4 Apple Watch "Play Fun Tower Radio
Great links but they don’t match my request.

Apple providing the API is not in question.

You expressed disappointment that (supposedly) Apple advertised the various apps would provide the service at launch.

Yet I’ve not seen any evidence that Apple made any claims that those apps would be providing that at the launch of WatchOS6.

please show me where you saw that Apple advertising of functioning apps at launch. Not the API.

Feek

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2009
I don't have any radio apps installed on my watch but I can still say "Hey Siri, play BBC Radio One" and it works.

Reactions: matrix07

Fozziebear40

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
Newton-le-Willows, England
I've got it to play LBC through Apple's Radio app. License restrictions may stop BBC stations working maybe.

Regarding Tune In etc, I have had a support email saying......"Please note that it is not yet possible to stream independently through the Apple Watch without your handheld mobile device. However, I will be more than happy to pass this feedback on to our Developers for consideration for a future update.
Sincerely,
Mary
TuneIn, Inc."