Any "real" studies out there on rate of defective iP5 unts vs others?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dxerboy, Oct 11, 2012.

1. dxerboy macrumors member

I'm well aware of the dangers of reading this board when a new apple product is released, but some of the accounts of problems (iOS6, battery life, data overuse, soft aluminium, etc) do have me a bit leery about the iPhone 5.

I know I know, it's just a device and no device is invincible, there will always be issues with any device (especially at first)... make up your own mind; go for it or don't etc etc.

BUT, even for the sake of curiosity, are there any actual formal reports that address the quality of a product, i.e. even simply document the rate of returns due to defects, whether cosmetic or otherwise?

Is Apple slipping? Maybe the numbers would even prove the opposite. (Seems impossible to know if you just read all the slinging on here...)

I don't suppose companies would publish this but it would be interesting to know how the actual rate of return compares between iP5 and say iP4S and what reasons were cited for returns/exchanges in say, the first month (and eventually overall).

Does Apple reveal such stats? Anyone aware of such a comparison/report?

2. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

Yes. 3 out of 4 iPhone 5's have defective owners. :)

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

No, and it would be miniscule. Remember the 4? How there was such a "huge" problem? Return numbers were less than 1% of phones when Apple made a statement about it.

4. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Search these forums around the release date of any product in the last 5 years.

You will see this is nothing new.

The iPad 2 got a REAL slating, people saying it was the begining of the end and Apple weren't as good as they used to be.

Now people hold it up as a halo product.

People quickly forget.

5. richmds macrumors regular

Apple would probably know this, possibly Foxconn. No they do not release this information.
    Its been less than a month I doubt and "formal" reports could have been done in such a short time.

6. dxerboy thread starter macrumors member

I remember years ago reading that it was 1% - 2% for the original iPhone, which was high at the time for cellphones. Not surprised the 4 was under 1%. In fact I'm on a 4 and it's still a rock in all respects. (But the 5 is calling...)

----------

Figured. although in might end a lot of the talk that goes on around places like this board if they were able to allay some fears by telling us how low the actual return rates were...

But then what would people talk about? haha

Also true that it hasn't been quite long enough for anything in-depth to be done.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Only Apple knows, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's at least 20% for the initial batch (preorders/1st week of order) simply because the stupid workers and/or their QC supervisors allowed those to make their way into retail in order to meet the higher demand under a time gun. Now that Apple has cracked down on them, it should fall back to their normal rate (1-2%).