Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Well, I was thinking about getting an external 250GB drive, but now I've just seen this IBM/Hitachi 400GB SATA drive, and am thinking maybe this is a better route.

Is there any reason an iMac G5 wouldn't be able to use (or "see") a 400GB drive? I wanna put the 400GB in to replace the stock 160GB, and put the 160GB in an external enclosure.

konkon

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2004
I was just finishing installing Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300Gb drive in my iMac and it works perfectly.
If the drive is not mac formatted when installed you have to format it with the disk utility and then restart before you can install the system.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
I guess the new iMac IS more expandable than the previous versions, can you imagine doing this on the desk lamp iMac,

hey edesing, you thinking that the 160 hard drive had anything to do with you problems in iTunes??

it's b0rkeD!
:)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Sharewaredemon said:
hey edesing, you thinking that the 160 hard drive had anything to do with you problems in iTunes??

it's b0rkeD!
:)
Na, the b0rked iTunes was an OS X thing, since the archive install everything is fine :)

It was a mess though! :eek:

borkeditunes.jpg

Having 400GB in an all-in-one like an iMac just sounds cool to me, but we'll see, I don't need it just yet anyway.

J.Allen

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2004
Adelaide, South Australia
ChrisFromCanada said:
I know I would personally prefer 160 Gigs internal for all system files games and programs and 400 External for all movies and pictures.
Why not have 2 or 3 or 5 internal drives to save on desk space:eek:

:( oh that's right, the imac only has room for one internal HDD:p.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.