Any reason not to upgrade MBP 13" HD to 500GB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ToTo Man, Apr 22, 2010.

1. ToTo Man macrumors regular

I'm seriously considering purchasing the new base model 13" MBP. I almost pulled the trigger a fortnight ago on a refurbed previous gen 13" but I'm glad I waited as the extra RAM and HD space makes £999 feel like (slightly) less of a rip-off! :D

I am considering committing an extra £40 or £120 to have Apple upgrade the stock 250GB 5400rpm drive to either 320GB or 500GB. I know it's essentially giving them more money than I should, but I'd rather not have to mess with installing a larger HD myself in the future.

But, is there any reason why I should avoid upgrading the stock 250GB HD to 500GB? Can the 13" MBP cope with a 500GB drive in terms of the extra heat it might generate? I'm assuming I've nothing to worry about since Apple offer it as an upgrade on their website, but I thought I'd ask anyway. :)

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

For the £40 extra you can buy a 500GB drive. A 7200RPM one for that matter.

3. tianuk3 macrumors member

No issues whatsoever if you were to upgrade. However I would strongly suggest you do it yourself, it is incredibly easy to do, and will save you about 70 quid aswell. I am personally sticking with the stock 250, then upgrading to 256gb of ssd when it finally becomes cheaper..

4. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Yes, there's plenty reason not to: price.

Buy this, install it from the get go, and you wont have to worry about needing to upgrade later on.

5. ToTo Man thread starter macrumors regular

But how easy is it to install a HD in a MBP compared to a Mac Pro?. I found the Mac Pro HD installation manageable but I'm not sure if my impaired dexterity could handle tearing down a MBP...

6. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Apple has made it quite easy. I do it all the time. Just check some videos online and you will see how easy it is.

7. ToTo Man thread starter macrumors regular

Cool, I just watched one on YouTube and it seems relatively straight forward. Just need to ensure I don't damage the SATA cable when removing it from the old HD.

I assume upgrading the HD doesn't void your warranty?

PS - I'm considering sticking with 5400rpm as I'd like to minimise noise/vibration and don't think my activities on the MBP will fully warrant a 7200rpm HD. Is that WD Scorpio Blue a 5400rpm drive?