Any reason to chose the 2.53GHz vs. the 2.4GHz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dembo, May 7, 2010.

1. Dembo macrumors regular

Dembo

Hi all,

I will replace my mid 2007 15'' MBP with a High-Res 15'' i5 MBP in a few weeks and I am wondering whether there is any reason to chose the "mid" model (i.e. 2.53GHz i5, 500 GB HD).

The machine is used primarily to crunch Canon 5D2 RAW files (LR/CS4) and the usual web, music, video stuff. A SSD is out of question (for now) since I occasionally need to unload a whole set of 16GB CF cards straight to the internal HD (although RAW files are later moved to external storage units) so I need the 500 GB internal.

My plan is to either go for the 2.4GHz/i5 and swap the HD out myself (over here in Europe Apple charges enough for the upgrade so that I can buy a 500 GB drive myself and keep the 320 GB in an external enclosure) or go straight for the 2.53GHz/i5, however, the additional CPU speed seems to be minuscule.

Any reasons to still chose the "mid" option? Are there any reviews out comparing the two machines?

Cheers,
    Dembo

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

2.53GHz is ~5% faster so unless you use nanosecond stopwatch, you won't notice the difference. You're better off getting the 2.4GHz and upgrade the HD yourself, you can get up to 1TB if you want

3. Dembo thread starter macrumors regular

Dembo

Thx - I thought so, just wanted to make sure there is no oversight on my part (increased cache, GPU memory etc. all the little bits and pieces).

4. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

Agreed. No reason at all for the 2.53. Save the money and get an intel SSD. That's a huge upgrade!

5. Hooksta macrumors member

Sorry for the hi-jack but what intel SSD is proving to be the most popular among MacBook users? I bought a new i5 15" with a 7200 rpm hd and its pretty noisy....especially compared to my wife's 13 MPB purchased in December.

6. vant macrumors 65816

X25-M G2 80GB/160GB

7. Hooksta macrumors member

Thanks...I'll look into it.

8. chasgoose macrumors newbie

Well since the 500 GB drive was important to me that and the larger student discount on the 2.53 model made it only a $50 difference between the 2.4 and 2.53 models. I figured it was worth it to go for the 2.53.

9. Dembo thread starter macrumors regular

Dembo

SSD surely is tempting but I do need the 500GB - the smallest SSD I could live with would be 240GB and the speed gains couldn't be large enough to justify the cost.

Getting rid of the optical drive and using an internal SSD and an internal HD might be a solution I look into later. Since we are diverting anyway: Any recommendations for a reliable HD kit for the optical bay?

10. mcbridematt macrumors newbie

I've taken the SSD route, 80GB Intel SSD + 320GB factory hdd using a MCE Optibay.

They are also giving out external USB cases to put your existing superdrive in, for free, makes the price tag a little less outrageous, compared to http://newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=220 which has been mentioned on this forum

11. Dembo thread starter macrumors regular

Dembo

Thanks for the MCE suggestion - I'll look into that. My gut feeling is that SSDs still have some way to go price-point wise. So I'll sit tight for this year and take the SSD + internal HD combo down as a project for next year.

So the plan right now is to go for the baseline MBP and replace the stock 320GB drive with a 7200rpm 500GB drive. Compared to my June/2007 MBP the speed bump should be pretty significant.

12. rawd macrumors regular

Why does everyone always recommend the i5 and an SSD. Does everyone have the same spending cap. Whats wrong with the i7 AND an SSD. Bunch of parrots around here barfing the same recommendations.

13. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

It's a good thing you know everything and are better than everyone isn't it!

14. rawd macrumors regular

15. Dembo thread starter macrumors regular

Dembo

Maybe because I specifically asked for a comparison of the two i5 models?

16. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Optibay ftw. (check my sig)

17. 2high2aim macrumors 6502

DONT go for that go for the MCE or wire splice the thing because that one does not work...another forum members have posted its fitment is uneven and sticks out a bit. So you only have two options the MCE or wiresplice which is cheaper and DIY vs. the clean install of MCE and higher price.

But if you get the student discount why not pay 50 more for the gb's and lil more CPU power...?

18. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

I ordered the 2.53 for it's larger HD and better speed over the 2.4. Mostly for the HD. I found it a better option than spending 100 bucks or more for a 500Gb drive on the 2.4. It was about the same price but the 2.53 gave me the extra speed boost.

19. 2high2aim macrumors 6502

nice man glad that you got your baby...I am waiting for the BTS

20. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

I don't have it yet :( It is still on the way...should have it in a day or two :D

21. 2high2aim macrumors 6502

hopefully the BTS specials soon because by the way it looks I will be purchasing my MBP next wed/thurs/fri but its really hard to KEEP WAITING

well whenever you do get it I'm sure you be happy. :p

22. Garrus macrumors member

well... i7 is only good for gaming :D
    so if you dont game take an i5 and upgrade to ssd ;)
    and if you have too much money like us buy both an i7 and a ssd :cool: :D

23. Dembo thread starter macrumors regular

Dembo

Not to sure about this:

"2. The MBP Core i7 beats the MBP Core i5 by only 0% to 6% -- mainly because they have the same GPU and we were running at native 1920x1200 resolution at high or ultra quality. If your main use of the MacBook Pro is for gaming, the MacBook Pro Core i7 may not be worth the extra $200 (or 9%) premium over the Core i5."

Quoted from http://www.barefeats.com/mbpp21.html

As of now I think that there are better upgrades for a notebook than investing in CPU power.

24. phuynh24 macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro i5 17"

fixed- my wife found the dvds. You have to use the same dvd that came with it to restore

25. minik macrumors 65816

A retail copy of 10.6.3 has an older build than the one specific for the MacBook Pro.