Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2008
West Coast
I have almost 400 apps in iTunes, which is taking up a lot of space. Before the App Store you had to add apps to your iPad/iPhone via iTunes, but is there any reason to keep apps in iTunes these days? It seems that besides discontinued apps, everything else can just be downloaded whenever you need it, which is normally only when you get a new device every few years. Am I missing something, or should I go ahead and delete all of the apps all from iTunes?

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I thought if you deleted an app from iTunes it deleted it from your devices also. it may only be if you sync with iTunes.

I delete the ones that I don't use any more and also delete from purchased section. But I keep on iTunes the apps that I am currently using.

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
I think it's only if you want to be able to restore from an iTunes backup. It's kind of a leftover from before the iCloud backup days as far as I can understand.

cswifx

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
If an app is pulled from the App Store, you'll have at least that backup you can use. cough cough Flappy Bird cough cough

WordsmithMR

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2015
Murica
Yea, I only keep a handful of random apps/games in iTunes that aren't from major devs. Common things like stock Twitter, banking apps, Microsoft apps aren't likely going anywhere or being pulled from the store... unlike Flappy Bird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.