Any reason to maintain 1.59.00 baseband if contract is running out?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by rrandyy, May 25, 2012.

  1. rrandyy macrumors 6502

    Jan 14, 2009
    I have an iPhone 4 on AT&T. I've put so much effort into maintaining the 1.59.00 bb, but haven't needed the unlock. I figured it would increase resale value. In a month or two, I'll be at two years and AT&T will unlock for free. Any reason to not move to the latest baseband that comes with 5.1.1 now?
  2. svenn macrumors 6502

    Aug 11, 2010
    I can't say for sure, but if you've gone this long, I would stick with it. Unlock it and throw it on ebay and advertise the fact you still have 1.59.00. Maybe some people don't know att unlocks for free now?

    I remember way back when I did the same thing with a 3gs when people were doing the ipad baseband stuff. It sold on ebay for much more than I was expecting.
  3. dhlizard macrumors G4


    Mar 16, 2009
    The Jailbreak Community
    Wait until the IMEI unlock is applied, then you can upgrade the baseband.
  4. rrandyy thread starter macrumors 6502

    Jan 14, 2009
    The problem is that with 1.59.00, the phone doesn't show signal strength, which is annoying. Hmm. What to do...
  5. Carlanga macrumors 604


    Nov 5, 2009
    Update the BB as long as you are sure you can get the unlock in the next few months.
  6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere


    Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    If you're not planning on using it unlocked or selling it in under 2 months then just update it.
    And when the contract is up just call AT&T and they will officially unlock it.
  7. Minhimalism macrumors 65816


    Jan 6, 2012
    1.59.00 baseband is nowhere nearly as attractive as a factory unlocked phone. Get the phone unlocked from AT&T, restore it or whatever, and people will be very inclined to buy it because they can restore or update with no hassle.
  8. Kayan macrumors 6502

    Jul 7, 2010
  9. OasisNYK macrumors 6502

    Nov 29, 2004
    Have you tried ultrasnow? I have an iPhone 4 with the same BB on 5.01 and it fixed my signal display issue. Only problem is occasionally my phone seems to have a hard time locating a signal but in general it works. I agree with the sentiment that you don't need to keep th BB at this point if you are close to a factory unlock.

Share This Page