Any reason to not buy my GF a MacBook now? (forgive me, I'm in Thailand)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by shoelessone, Aug 26, 2008.

1. shoelessone macrumors 6502

Hi all,

generally I'm a fairly active member of the forums, and am fairly up to date on all of the latest rumors, speculations, etc - BUT, at the moment (and for the next 5 months) I'm with my GF backpacking throughout SE Asia and as such we spend nearly every moment together. Computer acess is hard enough to come by, but the ability to act in secret and do research is near impossible.

Anyway, I'd like to surprise my GF and buy her a MacBook for xmas. I have a newer (well, it's about a year old now) MacBook Pro, am a hardcore computer user (though new mac user - switch.shoelessone.com if you care ;)), and think that a Mac is the right computer for my GF.... not because she wants one, but because I think she should have one ;).

Anyway, from the little I know there is some speculation that Apple is going to release a new MacBook, or at least refresh the current line in September. If I was buying the laptop for myself I might wait until then, however my GF will care little/none about any chance that apple could come up with, and I think the current MacBooks are damn near the perfect machines (besides my MacBook Pro of course ;)).

I'm rambling I know, sorry, I'm trying to be quick!

My reason for buying now is (obviously probably) so I can get the free ipod touch. I won't be keeping it, I'll sell it to help out my bank acount. As I mentioned I'm not rich but have the money at the moment and think my GF deserves something nice. I have a question. As I mentioned I am traveling now and so am obviously not curerntly a student. I realize this is sort of "gray area", but I will be returning to classes in December. I have my student ID, etc, etc, but will I have a problem getting the student discount? I am a full time student, just not this semester...

And finally, again I know this is total rambling, but is there any reason NOT to get the MacBook now? I know I'll miss out on 5 months of the warranty but it will save me 200 bucks, enough to get Apple care when I get back home. I can have my parents recieve the package/etc. Are the (rumored of course ;)) refreshes coming to the MacBook line in September (possibly ;)) going to be worth waiting/200 extra bucks?

I guess I coudl just use some advice. This is somewhat of an impulsive buy, so I could use the "support" so to speak, and need MacRumors blessing before going ahead with the purchase. Thanks a ton for the help!

Kev

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Yes, there have been a lot of rumors floating around that the Macbook will receive a cosmetic overhaul in the next few months or so.

Consult the MacRumor's buyers' guide for questions on such things.

PS: I didn't bother to read your post. It's really long for such a simple question.

EDIT: okay I skimmed it. You can get the discount as long as you have a valid .edu email address.

3. shoelessone thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, I know it's a bit long. But as I mentioned I don't get much of a chance to use a computer and I tend to ramble, and this thread will probably be the main deciding factor for me. 1000 is a lot of money, so it's a lot of text (ok, that doesn't make sense).

Anyway, thanks for your two cents!

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

you noted that you wanted to take advantage of the free iPod deal in order to get some money back.

During the investor conference or whatever that phone call was that Steve Jobs spoke at Steve mentioned that they would be cutting the prices of their line up. Which means soon the iPod that you got for free would be worth a lot less and the Macbook that you want to buy would most likely be a hundred or two dollars cheaper.

5. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

Unless you are going to give it to her right away and get the use there is no reason to spend the money on what would be old technology. The current MacBook is great but a month from now we may be made aware of a new MacBook that goes well beyond anything we could imagine right not. 5 months is kind of a long time.

Plus, not to be a dick but who knows what 5 months hold for you or your girlfriend. You two might not even be together. One or both of you could be dead or incapacitated. Not to be to negative but life can get in the way of "our little plans" for ourselves.

I was always say if you don't need it now don't buy it. You could always invest the money in a 3-6 month CD to keep it working for you.

6. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I doubt the new Macbook will go beyond what we can imagine right now. Maybe a little more powerful(the current one is pretty dang powerful and 90% of the people don't use most of it), maybe a new shell(many like the shell right now and hate aluminum), and have a couple of more goodies, but I don't see what they can do to really surrpise us--well to those of us who read the rumors. Apple will not give it all the goodies either. If they do then why have a Pro version besides the screen size? They will make enough upgrades to grab people's attention, but not enough to hurt their Pro line IMO.

Is it worth waiting? I would if I was in his shoes, but the Back to School deal is a sweet promotion and even if the OP decides to buy it, the new Macbook won't make the current one old technology. Heck in another 6 months the new, new Macbook will be old technology then. If I was a student and I needed a Macbook I would get the Back to School deal and the current proven Macbook. I do understand the arguments against that also.

I do find it funny that many say if you buy the current one that it will not be worth nearly as much. Well that is true, but an Apple, a car, TV, ect. are not investments and most people don't buy them to resell them. Most buy them and use them until they die or they want a new one. Yes many people sell their old ones, but the cost between the "old" one and the current on in a few years will be minimal. A couple of hundred dollars probably. By then, who knows, the Macbook might be less than $800.

7. archi17 macrumors regular

i would wait for the new revision, then definately buy one.

8. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

Aluminum shell, higher powered processor, higher RAM, LED screen, potential backlit keyboard, multi-touch pad, overall lighter machine.

We don't really know what combination of those new features might be involved. I agree that it is unlikely we will see much more than this but, IMO, any combination of those new/heightened features coupled with a potential lower price gives more than enough reasons to wait.

Plus, if new Aluminum MacBooks come out, the current generation will get dirt-cheap!

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Just wait. Your gf is not going to be happy if Apple has ads all over the planet advertising the latest and greatest and you bought her last year's model.

10. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Dirt cheap? Don't think so. You must not have had Apples in the past then. Apples hold their value fairly well regardless if their "outdated."

You are crazy if you think all of those features will be made on the new one. Maybe 2-3. Maybe. I think new shell and multi-touch pad. The current Macbook is already very powerful and with the aluminum shell common sense says it will be lighter(the current one is pretty damn light compared to most PC's). Like I said if they do upgrade with all those features then why buy a Pro model? There will always be a clear distinction between the 2.

There might be a price decrease, but if there is one it won't be more than a $100.

11. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

Refurbs and clearance will be quite a deal if Aluminum MacBooks come out. And LED is almost a certainty based on Apple's own self-imposed deadline. That with multi-touch, aluminum and higher processor speeds with increased battery life and maybe less expensive(per Apple saying they are going to be pulling less gross profit) seems to add up to what I am saying.

I do agree that Macs hold their value quite well. I just think with what we know is right around the corner, buying this current generation should only be based on absolute need!

12. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

You changed your tune. I agree they will go on clearance and you will be able to save quite a bit. Common sense again. Plus students won't get the B2S deal with the new one. Some might not need the iPod touch, but it is a sweet deal. However it is naive to suggest they will be "dirt cheap."

I already conceded that they will probably be less. But not over $100 like some have suggested. I guess we will see soon enough, but I don't see them making a price cut for the Macbook more than $100 on most models.

13. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

Apparently you seem to know the definitions I carry in my head. And clearly all I did was clarify, my tune has not changed. The new Aluminum MacBooks are right around the corner. They will have several(probably many) features the current generation does not have including: aluminum, LED, multi-touch, faster processor, better battery life.

So please don't assume you know my mind and because you don't know my mind keep you insults to yourself. You have your opinion on things and I have mine. Neither makes either of us naive. Just opinionated!

14. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Actually, they don't do anything to validate your student status...

15. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

It wasn't an insult or it shouldn't of been taken as such. It is being naive to suggest the current generation Macbook will be dirt cheap when the new one comes out. That was your words not mine(I don't have to read your mind you clearly said that). Of course you will be able to get them for a couple of hundred dollars less, but that isn't dirt cheap.

Once again I ask. If they do all those upgrades what will make the Macbook Pro different than the Macbook besides the screen size and dedicated graphics? Why would people pay hundreds more for a Pro if they can get a Macbook that has basically the same features/power? Screen size? Not worth 500-800 dollars more. Dedicated graphics? Not worth that much more for most people.

16. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If you need it now I would get the Macbook otherwise wait.

However, since you will be backpacking or currently are for 5 months I would opt for something really small, light and cheap. Then it would be easy to carry about and not crushing should it be stolen.

Though I do prefer Macs I am just throwing out the possibility of the Acer Aspire AOA110-1295 or the more powerful ASUS EEE PC 900. Both are quite small, weigh about 2.2lbs (1Kg) and are cheap. You will be able to go on the web when necessay, store/view photos, upload them online for safe storage in case of theft and if your stuff is stolen you are out $300-400 rather than $1000+.

At the end of your trip I would sell it off and get her whatever Macbook is out then. For safely storing your photos I would get a godaddy.com for $8 a month and use FTP (Cyberduck is a good program if you opt for a Mac, someone else here I am sure could recommend one for Linux that the laptops I listed use perhaps FireFTP) to just drag and drop your photos to your web address and have 150GB of online storage. You do not actually have to make a website, FTP will allow you to send everything to folders just like you computers folder hierarchy.

17. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

Buy it , I did and love the current model, not sure if I will love the redesign, look what happened to the iMac:mad: They never will be Dirt Cheap, check out powerbooks....and you get a free ipod touch which you can resell and the macbook becomes cheaper, you will always get good money from macbooks.And with the new shell it will be lighter and probably Hotter!

18. shoelessone thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the input everybody!

I'm still torn. I have a feeling I'm going to go ahead with the purchase, although it may end up killing me. The way I see it, if I buy the MacBook with a printer (free) and iPod Touch (free) now, and sell both the printer (50$) and the iPod Touch (200$) I'll have gotten the MacBook for 750 bucks, plus tax. Worse case, if a new laptop comes out that I absolutly have to have, I bet I'll be able to sell the almost new MacBook for at least 600 bucks, probably more like 800+. I might loose a hundred bucks or so, but that's the worst case.

I'll still certainly consider input, including why I'm an idiot for my thoughts!

Thanks again!

19. shoelessone thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the input, unfortunatly for you it sounds like we are similar people ;) - I've considered the EEE PC, in fact I've tried to convince her that she should get an EEE PC over another laptop, but she watns a larger screen. On uor current trip, I don't really want/need a computer as I have my iPod Touch for basic computing, and am happy to get away from my near constant computer usage back home.

On a side note, ultra portable laptops (like the EEE, various Acer models, etc) are even cheaper over here. I found a few NEW (new model) ultraportables for <10000 baht, aka <300 USD. I was tempted to buy one just because they are so cheap, but we're on a pretty tight budget over here.

Thanks again!

p.s. also, I backup all of my photos on flickr - flickr.com/shoelessone - I prefer flickr to other photo sites, though you have to pay for a pro account for filckr to be awesome.

20. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

I did it they same you will always get that back if you want a new model Good luck:)

21. shoelessone thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!

Oh, and by the way, to whoever said that we could break up and who knows what will happen, you are of course right. That said, we've been together for 7 years, lived together, traveled together, etc, and all is well. It is however possible that one of us will die as we're heading to cambodia next and neither of us are taking anti-malarials ;)

22. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I spent 3 months backpacking in Thailand, Cambodia, and Laos. I loved it. Be safe and have fun.

23. christiemp macrumors regular

christiemp

I thought the reason people bought pros was for the video card and such...you can get the same RAM on the regular macbook can't you? And 2.6 isn't THAT much faster than 2.4....is it? And if they upgraded the macbook's processor AND the pro, the pro would still be better.

I don't know anyone who bought the pro for the backlit keyboard either, although it is a nice plus.

24. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Not enough to justify the $500-1000 price difference between the 2 if the upgrades are what people are speculating. They have to be able to justify the price difference. Not just a little better, but $500-1000 better. Sorry, but a dedicated graphics card, a bigger monitor, and a little more power doesn't justify it for most people.

I don't see Apple making all of the upgrades some people are thinking. Some, yes, all, no. It is a wish list by many.

25. christiemp macrumors regular

christiemp

I don't get what DOES justify for it people then. What's so great about the pro?!