Any reason to spend *more* on a 2015 rMBP 13 than a 2016 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johngwheeler, Nov 14, 2016.

1. johngwheeler macrumors 6502

I've noticed that (in Australia at least), a base 2015 rMBP with 256GB SSD costs more than the base 2016 MBP (AU$2,319 vs AU$2,199). In the US, the price is identical ($1,499)

Apart from the difference in ports & maybe the keyboard (which depends on personal requirements & preferences), is there any reason why someone would choose the older machine?

It seems that Apple has priced these to actively discourage people from buying the older machine. Given the improvements to the MBP SSD speed, CPU, graphics & screen in the newer model, I think there is very little appeal in the older machine unless you are dongle-phobic.

I would have expected the older machine to have a substantial discount, but this is not the case!

2. Mactimize macrumors newbie

If you're ok with the lack of ports then you might as well bite on the 2016 model! I tried the 2016 keyboard out at a local Apple Store and I think you'll quite like it (people will fuss about anything given the chance). I got used to the shorter travel in just a minute or two.