Any Recommended Monitor for rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by legaleye3000, Oct 3, 2014.

1. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

I have a 2013 rMBP and 2009 Mac Mini. Besides an Apple monitor (because I believe they are way expensive), are there any recommended alternatives that are 21 inches, give or take? Looking to have docking station set up at home with monitor.

For office use. No crazy photo or video editing, etc.

Thanks.

2. leman macrumors 604

Any PC monitor will do. I suggest that you look though technical sites that review monitors, I am sure you will find something you like. Still, keep in mind that the PPI of 21" is so low that all of them will appear washed out and blurry next to the rMBP's screen.

3. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm not even sure I would notice the ppi difference... I use a 21 inch 2013 iMac at the office and it looks fine to me. Just looking to go purely off of my rMBP and use docking stations between the office and home.

Any reason to go with the Apple display and pay the large difference in money (haven't even looked at prices, just assuming)? Especially if not caring about photo/video. I just want something that will show clear text, low glare (if they have that option), etc., good for staring at screens for a while, while doing office work. Thanks.

4. leman macrumors 604

I am not a photographer/editor, so my option is not a professional one, but I never saw much point in the Apple monitors. There are certainly others that similar or better performance at lower price. As far as I can recall reading reviews, Apple displays were always somewhere in the mid-range, and definitively too expensive for what they have to offer.

P.S. The best displays I had to do personally are Eizo — they are really good, but also really expensive :D

5. nudoru macrumors regular

Work supplied me with a Dell 23" professional monitor and it has a nice IPS panel. There are many many better / cheaper options than an Apple screen. You can get a Korean import 4k monitor for <$500 if you want.

6. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Is there anything as a good monitor for $100-$150?

7. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Just search a price comparison website. I know a good one but you'd have to live in central europe. Usually you can select the size and features you want and you get a list of monitors that fit the bill.

For mainly office use I would suggest Montiors with A-MVA panels. They have stellar contrast and great viewing angles and they are cheap. TN Panels are the best for gamers. AH-IPS, PLS, IPS are really only good if you buy the expensive ones in the low end they are worse than either MVA or TN with no true strength and poor contrast and washed out colors.

I can find plenty in the 100€ region so 100-150$ should be easy to find. www.prad.de is a good source of reviews but in my opinion there isn't to big a difference in the low end. Look for features that you like, like height adjustment options and overall looks.
    BenQ GW2450HM or its smaller brother BenQ GW2265HM

MVA is the best for office use and with the contrast the retina display might look washed out next to it. At about arm lengths distance the resolution on my 23" 1920x1080 looks just fine next to retina. Barely noticeable the pixels.
    21" is better if you need to put it closer (if there is not enough space on the desk), otherwise get 23". They cost about the same and you can always put 23" a bit further away but it is often nice to have something bigger.

8. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

I recently purchased this:
    Asus 24" Display

I am, so far, very happy with it. The price cannot be beat, and the colour and quality are very likeable. Overall, it has very favourable reviews.

The one thing about monitors/displays though, is that it can certainly come down to opinion. Good colour to one person has a different meaning to another. I would highly recommend browsing your local tech stores (i.e. Walmart or BestBuy) and actually viewing some screens in real life. Then you can decide what looks "good" to you.

9. Fishrrman macrumors G4