Any revisions on the horizon for the 24' LED Cinema Display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rossagrant, Mar 5, 2009.

1. rossagrant macrumors member

Right, well after the disappointing updates on the iMac I have decided to hold off getting a new machine until a more valid reason for a price hike comes about. I still really want a mac with a bigger display though and am seriously considering the LED cinema display which I can hook up to my new unibody macbook pro and effectively use as a desktop.

Before I buy one though, do you think there is a revision on the horizon anytime soon.
    Is the initial March 24th presentation going to actually take place and what might it unveil?
    Just don't want to shell out £600 for a new model to come out in 2 weeks!
    Thanks in advance.
    Ross.

P.S are there any other viable alternatives to this LED display and what do I need to make them compatible?

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I doubt there will be a public revision for some time (years). Internal revisions to fix issues and update panels sure (well hopefully). There isn't really anything for them to upgrade it with right now.

3. BradleyGaulden macrumors member

oh me to!!

im considering the same thing!!! i was going to get a macbook pro and get the LED monitor, or a good iMac with a macbook air! but im totally torn! lol when u reach a conclusion i would apriciate if you told me to help me reach a decision!! haha :D goin' off to college! lol trying to get the best out of my money! :)

4. rossagrant thread starter macrumors member

I took the plunge this afternoon Bradley and bought the 24' LED Display for my Macbook Pro and let's just say I am most certainly NOT disappointed!

So easy to set up out of the box, no messing with settings just plug it in and off you go. I bought a wireless keyboard and mouse that I have synced to my Unibody Macbook pro and it is just like having a desktop machine infront of you. You can close the lid of the Macbook pro and let it go to sleep, just using the LED as a display or if you want to use them both in conjunction and have dual monitors (again, so easy to set up).

The only cons are the price, it's obviously not cheap to buy but remember it is LED and not LCD so in terms of brightness and colours, it is absolutely stunning. When working with iPhoto and Final Cut tonight it really brings the pictures to life!

I thoroughly recommend it. There are obviously alternative displays out there that will connect to your Macbook with the various adaptors on the market but if you want to go for 'ready out of the box', desgined exactly with your Macbook in mind (it even charges your Macbook when using it) then you can't beat it.
    Let me know how you get on!

5. BradleyGaulden macrumors member

i think that is what im going to do also! i was going to get the Imac and have the Air as my traveling computer around campus to take notes on and drawings and have to iMac as my real computer! butt having the pro is the better choice because you have your real computer always with you! i have enough to buy the LED display right now, but i think im going to buy the pro first, because if i buy the display first then the computer its kinda like putting the cart before the horse! lol thanks for ur help! :)

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It just came out. This isn't a computer. The 30" hasn't been touched for three years; they'll be around for quite a while.

7. CromulentChriss macrumors newbie

This is what annoys me...People hysterical about the "LED display," as in: "LED and not LCD." The LED cinema display is a LCD display with a LED backlight - it's not a new type of screen. LED are light emitting diodes - as in small energy efficient lights in traffic lights and remote controls - and the display is still LCD

8. rossagrant thread starter macrumors member

Just going off experience that's all. I find the LED clearer than LCD. Not too sure about the technical differences but surely LED is a slight step up otherwise why bother using LED's?

9. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

LED lit displays typically have more uniform lighting (they don't have bleeding, etc), they last longer (they are just about as bright after 5 yrs as they were when new, where as CFL backlights will slowly burn down over their lifespan), they are more reliable (they typically last for the life of the appliance where as a CFL can go out after 4-6 yrs).

Final point is that LED will use less energy than CFL.

10. CromulentChriss macrumors newbie

Yeah, obviously it's a better product but what I'm saying it's that it's still an LCD screen, and the LED abbreviation is not a related, new and improved version of LCD - more like (as the poster above me pointed out) a feature that makes the screen better.