any safe way to sell iphone on ebay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lord patton, Nov 22, 2011.

1. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

I've gotten tired of all the scammers on Craigslist and would like to sell my iPhone 4 on eBay. But I'm leary…

Is there any safe way to do it? AFAIK, ebay and paypal always side with the buyer. What's to stop someone from claiming they never received it, or it was broken?

Would these steps give me security?

1) sell only in the U.S.
    2) sell only to verified address with good feedback
    3) ship with delivery confirmation
    4) mandate that the buyer purchase insurance

Will this last step, the insurance, help? If I understand it correctly, even if the buyer claimed a missing or broken product, they'd get refunded via the insurance, and I would still keep the payment.

Thanks so much. Craigslist seems completely broken for this kind of deal. So many scammers, and you only get inquiries for several hours after it initially posts.

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

There may be plenty of scams on Craigslist, but it's still far safer (and quicker) than eBay. You name your price, someone (or many) reply, you name a public place to meet, and you walk away with your cash... all in the same day and without issues, worrying if you'll get your asking price, and if you're going to get screwed days/weeks later.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

My experience having sold my last iPhone on eBay and pretty much requiring all that, was that the person who won it lived in Russia, used a US eBay account with a verified US PayPal shipping address... to a "freight forwarding" company in Alaska.

I was sweating bullets with that transaction, but it went through smooth. And technically, it met all of the eBay screening that I could have put on the transaction.

That was the only iPhone I sold on eBay. The other two I've sold I used craiglist and it worked perfectly.

4. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

if you do all of that you should be covered under their seller protection http://pages.ebay.com/paypal/seller/

I still need to sell my 4 through ebay and when I ship it I plan of taking a video of the phone working and showing the serial and IMEI code, then putting it into the box, showing the shipping label with the correct address, and giving it to the post office person. You may never have to show the video to anyone but if the buyer tries anything funny you are going to be glad you have that video. Also make sure your listing is as detailed as possible, listing any physical defects or they could get you there too.

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Craigslist isn't that bad. If anyone asks you to ship it, block their email address and move on. The issue with ebay is that it's hostile toward sellers which is just stupid. I've even seen buyers threaten to leave negative feedback if you don't leave them positive feedback.

6. andyx3x macrumors 65816

+1

OP, how do you think someone is going to scam you on Craigslist if you're the one selling the phone?

7. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i would check how much more money you get by selling through ebay (factoring in all fees and shipping) compared to a craigslist transaction or selling to instant buy or other companies.

if the difference is only $50 I would avoid ebay. it's not worth the risk and the hassle.

8. lord patton thread starter macrumors 65816

lord patton

appreciate all the feedback, guys.

Other than being mugged in a Starbucks, I'm not worried about *being* scammed. It's just that 95% of the replies I'm getting are from people *trying* to scam me.

9. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

At least with Craigs, they're upfront about trying to scam you so it's fairly obvious. With eBay, you won't know if they are or not for over a month.

10. chuffman15 macrumors regular

Don't sell anything on eBay!
    eBay is always on the buyers side.
    Paypal is the same way. If the buyer isnt happy the seller is out money and now-a-days products too.
    ebay charges roughly 12% of the total. if you ship through ebay with ups it gets worse.
    go craigslist all the way. yes you will get 95% scams but the 5% will want to buy it. just jack your price up and wait for people to cut your price down to what youll take.
    id rather meet the guy whose gonna rob me than get robbed a week after i send my iphone out and have ebay screw me.
    also if you do get mugged, you atleast have a face to hunt down like an animal.

11. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Knock on wood, I have not had issues with Ebay and selling phones. I make sure to follow their guidelines for protection to the note. I always make clear in my listing that I will ship to Paypal verified account to confirmed address only, if account is not verified, and/or address is not confirmed, I WILL ask questions, and shipment could be held for 7-10 business days to confirm payment does not reverse. Insurance is for the seller as the seller will put in the claim, and receive the money if something were to happen, so I tend to factor that in to my shipping and handling.

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

This. I only ship to confirmed addresses, never out of the country, always insured with signature confirmation, and I record the serial numbers. I also sell everything "as is" with no returns accepted, and only to people with feedback. Buy it if you want it, dont buy it if you dont like my terms. 12 years of doing business on eBay with no issues.

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

Emphasis mine on the Signature Confirmation - I believe that's required for seller protection on items over $250. It's also why I stick to US only sales, since the international shipping cost tends to be really high if you need signature confirmation.

Also ensure you put a full set of *good* pictures on the listing clearly showing ANY cosmetic defects to help guard against "not as described" claims.

Generally speaking - for high value items like phones I prefer to use Craigslist. Yes you'll get the scammer emails and the people looking for distressed "gotta sell it today to make car payment" sellers -- they're easy to ignore. Use a throwaway gmail or yahoo account you can walk away from. Or do as some suggest and set up Google Voice for a phone # and don't allow emails; only calls/texts. Google voice is easy to set to NOT ring your real number during certain hours or just go straight to voicemail.

14. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Find a friend , colleague or family member who may be interested.

Safer !

15. stevendphoto macrumors member

sold my 3GS on Craigs List a few weeks ago, had 4 or 5 people interested...

16. vonWachtstain macrumors regular

I could not agree with you more. My advice is to: post your phone number in the ad and ignore every single email you get. 99% will not email you if they have phone number available to contact you. Then set up meeting at public place and take friend with you. Do not accept big bills ($20 bills are fine).

17. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I would say that craigslist is easier. Just make sure that you meet in an area where there is alot of people around.

18. lord patton thread starter macrumors 65816

lord patton

Sold it on Craigslist. Now I'm done.

Well I sold it today for $300 (16 GB iPhone 4 with box, unused accessories, and AppleCare through June 2012). I was hoping for more, but this was acceptable.

But what a pain! The guy tried to change the meeting time 4 or 5 times. I did take a risk at the end and gave him my address because by the time he got here, my daughter was asleep in bed and I couldn't leave the house for a public place. And of course he tried to talk me down again in the end but I didn't budge.

For those interested, here's my "cool story bro" text thread of the transaction.

me 6:51:08 AM
    Hi. You emailed about my 16 gb black at and t iPhone 4 with ApplCare. My name is Adam. Let me know if you have questions. Thx.

him 7:19:01 AM
    It comes with everything?

me 7:21:24 AM
    Yes. Box, unused charger, dock cable, earbuds. AppleCare through June 2012.

him 7:22:23 AM
    Cool what's your location.

me 7:22:48 AM
    Lisle, right near maple and 355

him 7:24:36 AM
    I'm in wheeling, when n where do you wanna meet up?

him 7:28:00 AM
    Ok I can come pick it up

him 7:28:58 AM
    What time do you wanna meet up?

me 7:29:15 AM
    Yeah. There's a Starbucks on the corner of Maple and rt. 53 in lisle.

me 7:29:50 AM
    Anytime but 11:30 to 1.

him 7:30:14 AM
    Can you text me the serial number, I wanna see the Warrenty

me 7:30:38 AM
    Sure. Just a minute.

me 7:36:19 AM
    82[redacted]4S

him 7:48:49 AM
    Thx

him 7:52:01 AM
    Sorry Adam that doesn't come up n e thing

me 7:53:42 AM
    [5695-1.jpg]

me 7:53:42 AM
    I'm reading it right off the box.

me 7:55:27 AM
    Oh wait. The original was swapped out for a replacement. Let me check the actual phone.

me 7:58:40 AM
    84[redacted]4S. It checks out. Through June 23, 2012.

him 8:01:56 AM
    Ya I saw it, thx. So the phone is over year n 5 months. That's fine with me.

me 8:02:25 AM
    What time is good to meet?

him 8:03:08 AM
    Well I work the time you give me. It has to be after 5

him 8:05:41 AM
    Would that work?

me 8:06:05 AM
    I can't be out after 5:30 because my twenty-one month old daughter goes to bed early. (I'm in charge tonight) We * could* do it at my house after that, but I'd prefer meeting in public no later than 5 pm.

him 8:08:01 AM +12242254494
    5 is fine with me.

him 8:08:52 AM
    Can you do 300? Since I got driving lil over one HR each way.

me 8:09:44 AM
    You meet me on time with cash and $300 is fine :)

him 8:10:28 AM
    Cool, We meet in public place. Thx Adam

me 8:20:54 AM
    Great. Starbucks at Rt. 53 and Maple (northeast corner) in Lisle. See you then.

him 9:04:17 AM
    Hey Adam is updated to 5.0 or still running on 4.3.5?

me 9:04:33 AM

him 9:06:49 AM
    Not 5.0.1?

him 9:47:04 AM
    Thx. See ya around 5

him 10:44:30 AM
    Adam do you wanna meet around 12:30 by 59 n Jefferson by target

me 10:47:34 AM
    Sorry, no. Daughter will be napping at home until 1:30.

him 10:49:12 AM
    It can be n e time after 1:30 to 5 right? At that location?

Sent 10:50:30 AM
    I don't understand 59 n. Jefferson.

him 11:33:01 AM
    Do you know where 59 n Jefferson is?

me 11:36:53 AM
    No, that's why I'm asking. What city?

him 12:07:05 PM
    That's I'll see you at the location you told me.

me 12:08:14 PM
    5 pm still ok?

him 12:12:17 PM
    Yes. If it b4 is that ok with you

me 12:14:17 PM
    Possibly, but I have to know soon what the plan is (there are some other appointments I have to schedule around)

him 12:28:00 PM
    Around 4:45 I'll see you at the place you told me. Ok?

me 12:29:44 PM
    Awesome. Thanks.

him 2:44:58 PM
    Do you wanna meet me there at 3:15?

him 4:04:46 PM
    What time you gonna be there?

me 4:06:54 PM
    4:45 as planned. Maybe 10 minutes early of traffic isn't too bad.

him 4:20:04 PM
    Can we meet up around 7 cause it will be so much traffic right now

me 4:22:39 PM
    I don't know what to say. I thought we made this plan 5 hours ago.

me 4:22:52 PM
    I guess 7 will work.

him 4:23:23 PM
    Thx bro. I see you at same place

him 5:40:27 PM
    We still meeting up at 7 right?

me 5:41:22 PM
    As far as I know, that's the plan.

him 6:46:43 PM
    I'm here. Where are you?

me 6:47:09 PM
    You're at the Starbucks?

him 6:48:34 PM
    Im in walgreens

me 6:50:12 PM
    My daughter's in bed, so you'll have to come to my house. I'm 5 blocks away, back toward i355 north of maple. [address redacted]

him 6:51:03 PM
    Sorry bro I can't come there. Public place only

me 6:52:02 PM
    I told you I couldn't be out after 5:30. Oh well.

him 6:52:00 PM
    I came all the way here from driving HR n half.

him 6:53:11 PM
    Can you come to walgreens at least. I came from palatine

me 6:54:19 PM
    That's why we agreed on 5 pm. My daughters asleep. I can't leave.

me 6:55:41 PM
    I understand your reluctance, but you have my phone number and address. We can both have our phones set to video record.

him 6:57:27 PM
    Only public place bro.

him 6:57:47 PM
    Do you any store around your house

me 6:58:31 PM
    Dude, I will neither wake nor leave my sleeping 21-month old baby.

<end texts>

And then he showed up anyway to do the deal. At least my 50 pound poodle scared the **** out of him.

19. bassett700 macrumors member

bassett700

Glad DougFNJ raised this. I see some auctions that state insurance is recommended or mandatory....adding that the seller will not be responsible for damage. Ebay does not see it that way. The seller has an obligation to get the item to the buyer as advertised. Insurance protects you, the seller. Item arrives damaged and you refuse to help the buyer because of poor handling by the shipper, Ebay/Paypal/CC almost always side with the buyer.

20. davidmark macrumors newbie

davidmark

What should we do?

chuffman15 what about the clickbank.com? is It good buy that website? what you think?

21. chuffman15 macrumors regular

i haven't heard of click bank. but i did a quick google search and there were many links talking about scams. i didn't read any of them and i haven't used them so i don't know much about them.

22. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

If you made the effort to read this thread and then google about the name of the company to investigate it , then why not read any of the information in order to educate yourself and then pass on that knowledge in this thread.

Pointless !

Rolls eyes.

23. 1goodidea macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

You could do eBay. Local pick up and cash only. But then you may as well use Craigslist.

I've used eBay like this plenty of times and it's worked great. Usually for larger items where they need to pick them up.

24. chuffman15 macrumors regular

my original post says i dont trust websites like ebay and paypal. i have 100% success with craigslist. if it aint broke dont fit it. OP asked me about click-bank. im not gonna use them, let the OP do his own research.

25. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Here's why I don't like CL for anything but furniture, vehicles, & other stuff too big to ship. Too much hassle. This is the one that actually BOUGHT the phone, plus the hassle from the scammers & so forth that contact you but never buy.

You netted, what, $100 more than you would have from just clicking a few buttons on a web site and printing a shipping label? Plus you ended up giving your home address to some complete stranger, which would have been a deal-breaker for me.