Any secrecy left on iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    So obviously the big joke is about how Tim Cook said Apple was "doubling down on secrecy" and yet there have been so many leaks with the iPhone 5. It seems like we have a pretty clear image of exactly what it will look like, and most of the features (LTE, no NFC, possible A6, new headphones, etc).

But my question to you is, do you think there are some major new features that Apple managed to keep secret? It seems like most of the stuff we have seen are marginal/expected upgrades. So maybe these features weren't on "lockdown" because they didn't matter as much. Maybe Apple was able to keep secret all their revolutionary features, because that was what they really cared about. Do you think Apple will surprise us? What kind of feature could the new iPhone have that would blow us away?

2. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Every iPhone release has had a software feature exclusive to the new hardware. Makes sense that they would have one for the iPhone 5. I haven't seen any leaks that would qualify. Unless you want to count software support for the larger screen.

3. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

If he did I would wager there where some human rights violations.

4. nfl46 macrumors 603

Hardware wise, we know what to expect...software, not so much. Of course there is going to be a software gimmick to make people get the iP5 over the 4S...Apple probably added features that wasn't in the betas.

5. snow blind macrumors regular

"This last feature... this is something we're all very proud of.... you can now fit FIVE rows of icons! FIVE! And this is why we think this is the best iPhone yet!"

6. ray6712 macrumors regular

ray6712

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Can just be LTE. After all, second generation iPhone with just a case redesign, 3G and A-GPS was enough to drive sales.

Apple is reserving the boatload of new features for iPhone 5S next year.

8. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I think the upgrade from Edge to 3G is much more significant then from 3G/3G+ to 4G LTE.

I say this because Edge was horribly slow, and felt unusable after I experienced 3G for the first time.

Yes LTE is much much better, but for AT&T... it doesn't feel as necessary by comparison like 3G versus Edge did.

Also, the big surprises for the 3G was the App store right

9. dojoman macrumors 65816

Or it could possibly we've been seeing a fake iPhone 5 prototype Apple leaked on purpose. Remember what happen with 4S? Everyone was expecting tear-drop iPhone but it was just a prototype. Even case makers got fooled.

10. Cougarcat macrumors 604

There was that rumor about AirPlay Direct. If true, there's a good possibility the iPhone 5 will get AirDrop, too. That's what I'm putting my money on, anyway.

11. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I was referring to software exclusives such as:

iPhone 4S: Siri
    iPhone 4: Facetime
    iPhone 3GS: Voice Control and VoiceOver

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It isn't set in stone that they'll do some kind of software exclusive every year, especially if hardware exclusive can take its place as we saw with the iPhone 3G.

13. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Absolutely. I said it would make sense based on the trend, not that it is definite.

14. Furifo macrumors 6502

I think there is one feature specific to the new iPhone that Apple has yet to reveal.

I also firmly believe that the leaks we have been seeing are the real deal. If Tim pulls out a completely different looking phone while screaming "TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL", I'll be FLOORED.

15. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

16. madsci954 macrumors 68030

er! Mai!! Gerd!!!

17. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Dey turk ure jerbs!

----------

This... would be the worst "surprise feature" to date

18. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Only the naive ones who chose to believe there would be a teardrop iPhone despite no evidence and the leaks to the contrary were the ones who were "Fooled"

19. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

20. dotme macrumors 6502a

Surpises? Would a 1280x720 resolution screen at 367ppi count? ;)

21. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

I'd like to see something crazy like a 5 inch round phone or something just as nutty. People would hate it.............. and then of course they would learn to love it as long as it had the little Apple on it.... :D

22. sgtjiggy macrumors newbie

I would like to the i5 have built in ANT sensor capability.

23. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

maybe all these leaks arent real 8/ maybe tim cook pulled an inception on us all to make us think we know what the 5 is.. reverse psych-errmmm security!

hahah i kid.. but that would be cool.

24. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

That would be hilarious. What if it worked so well, that it became Skynet. :p

25. ray6712 macrumors regular

ray6712

it's not that far fetched really hide it in plain sight in a wrapper that they will surely run to built to the exact same dimensions the new phone would be or a Lil smaller.

bring in our accessory makers let them see the actual product swear them to secrecy or well sue the HELL out of you.

Then on the 12th shock the world it would be fantastic