Any "secret" way to easily find where MOVIES are stored?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by getyup, Jul 9, 2011.

1. getyup macrumors 6502

So I jailbroke, and I like using iTunes to sync movies, but the issue I have is when I want to delete something after watching, I can never find them, so have to wait and delete on sync.

Is there an easy way to find where the movies are stored on the device?

2. Cooolpenner macrumors regular

The easiest way is, to sync the videos to a third-party-app, like VLC or OPlayer. After watching you can delete the files in the app or with iFile.

3. getyup thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't even see VLC for iPad.

4. Cooolpenner macrumors regular

VLC was removed from the AppStore a few months ago (because of license problems)

5. bwrairen macrumors 6502

You can still find it in installous. See, there are legal uses for it.

6. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Do you mean movies that play in to iOS videos app? Inside the app, swipe your finger over the movie and tap delete.

7. Brad02 macrumors regular

I prefer CineXplayer. It works great on the ipad2 and you can delete as soon as your done watching them.

8. getyup thread starter macrumors 6502

That's my second favorite, but I'm just not a huge fan of the interfaces of CineXPlayer or AVPlayer... they're not as clean and well-transitioned like the native player. Wish I could figure out where int he file system the videos went when the native sync added them so I could just iFile that directory and delete them as I watch em.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I could tell you where the movie files are, but deleting them from iFile will seriously mess up the iTunes database. At the least, the video app will still think the video is still there even though you deleted it, and give you ugly file not found signs, at worst all your music, videos and podcast could become unplayable. Just delete them the way you are supposed to, as another poster has explained in post #6.

10. getyup thread starter macrumors 6502

That works, I didn't even think about iTunes doing it's funky organizational garbage. Sounds good. Thanks.

One more question maybe you know. Do any of the apps like VLC, AVPlayer, CinemaX support output to Airplay to use w\ Apple TV? Or is it just the native player?

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I never use video out myself, so I'm not 100% sure about this -- I know with iPad 1 it was just native player only, but with iPad 2, I believe it's all apps. Then there were reports that 4.3 enabled it on iPad 1 too, but since I don't use this feature, I haven't paid close attention to whether these reports were verified. However, I'm pretty sure there's a jailbreak app that does enable video out for all apps. Sorry don't know what it is called.

12. getyup thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool, I'll dig around. Thanks!

13. tehreflex macrumors 6502

14. zaxdude macrumors 6502

If you are simply looking to delete the movie from the ipad, just go to the Movies app and when the list appears, press on the movie & hold. It will create an X in the upper left. Click the X. You will be prompted with an "are you sure"....click Yes and the movie is summarily deleted!

I'm on 4.3.3 JB.

I could never quite get the "Swiping" that AdrianK mentioned above to work. Pressing and holding always works for me, tho.

15. getyup thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, that's a viable solution until I plug into my computer and sync and the movie comes right back like a bad ex girlfriend.

16. zaxdude macrumors 6502

Well ya also have to remove it from your itunes movies library.... it won't deleve the movie from wherever you store it on the hard drive unless you want it to be deleted. to add the movie back to the ipad, put it back in the library before the next sync.

17. getyup thread starter macrumors 6502

Well yeah I know if I delete it from iTunes it'll delete it from my device, hehe. The point was it'd be nice if there was an easy way, when I download a season of TV show, and watch them while in flight, to delete them off my device and then when I get home not have to re-delete them. Guess it's just not reality.

18. zaxdude macrumors 6502

that's a restrictiion of iTunes & not the device. i you have it in your library, iTunes is obviously going to sync it unless removed.

I "manually manage" movies and music. I drop what I want onto the iPad when I want it there from iTunes. Then when I delete it from the iPad it doens't get added at the next sync.

19. Siggen macrumors 6502

My favorite is XBMC, it has a horrible interface (well not horrible but just not made for touch screens)

Cause I was on a plane trip, had synced HD movies to MoviePlayer (app from AppStore ) it didnt play them, so copied them over to VLC's folder and it didnt play it. (both managed to start the movies but it seams they arent optimised for iPad 2, so the movies were unwatcheble)

I used iFile to make a symlink between XBMC and MoviePlayer. And it played them great.

20. DS3 macrumors 6502a

I had no idea you could hold to delete the standard videos, wow. Thats nice to know, I synch some video podcasts that take up a lot of space and certainly don't need to stay after watching.