Any SGS2 owner jumping ship to Iphone 4s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Psood21, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Psood21 macrumors member

Let me begin by saying, i am a technology enthusiast who loves cell phones.
    I have had every iphone since the launch, but this one time i got myself a samsung galaxy s2. Now with the launch of 4s even though it is not a redesign as expected the apple fanboy in me wants to jump the ship back to Iphone.
    So my question to all you sgs2 owners who got an iphone 4s, is it worth it guys???

2. playtillyadrop macrumors member

I am kind of. I had a iPhone 4 since launch to may. Then I imported a sgs2. Its a great phone, but I just found my self flashing the phone as soon as a new update leaked on xda. This was mainly due to the battery not lasting very long but i did love the phone. I just couldn't take the battery anymore also I had a weaker cell signal at my work. Then I decided in August to switch to blackberry with the bold 9900 also a nice phone but the os was a little boring and severely lacked apps also the battery wasnt as good as the iPhone 4 but a lot better the sgs2. So now I'm getting the iPhone 4s, I just want something that works and has the app ecosystem with the occasional games and superb browsing. I just really got tried of flashing the phone trying to get something more out of the sgs2 then it actually could. I loved the openness of android but i like comfort and reliability of ios a lot more.

3. jayp03x macrumors newbie

I purchased an AT&T galaxy s2 on launch day and loved it. The phone was insanely quick and the screen was gorgeous. The only con I had was the short battery life and how long it took to recharge. I returned it for the 4s on Friday because I need my phone to last more than 10 hours and constantly having to bring my charger around was becoming an annoyance. The first day with the iPhone I found myself actually pleased with ios5 and I can actually say I've found the perfect device for me. Some things i do miss with the gs2 are the toggles in the status bar and extra screen size but I'm sure I'll adjust to that the more i use the iPhone.

4. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I have gone back and forth using the SG2 and the iPhone. The 4S is pretty nice and I am enjoying it now but I would not say it is faster or more advanced than the SG2. They are like two different tools.

5. djarpit macrumors regular

i went form iPhone 4 to s2 on the eve of 4s release. not regretting it. though the screen size is larger I do like all the customization I can do.

Plus i am a huge google voice user and it is so well integrated in the android OS I couldnt ask for more.

I had same issues with batterey with both phones as My workplace has no signal what so ever and battery drains out by end of the day. I did have a good battery life this past weekend. I would say similar to iPhone 4. Though i do use it a little less than my iphone 4 because i used to stream to podcast and costanly listen to pandora.

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Hell no. I have yet to sell my 4 and have had the SG2 since 10/2. Playing with both I would have a difficult time going back to the iPhone screen. You can barely read a webpage on the thing without feeling like your 68. I checked out the 4s at AT&T. The SG2 is faster, more customizable with widgets (not looking at three pages of app squares), and the notification bar actually tells you what came (email, text, update, ect). The one thing I do like on iOS 5 is notifications on the lock screen. Other than that there isn't anything the phone does better than the SG2. Battery, with my usage I can get through a full day and by the time I put it on the charger at night I have between 20-40% left. Reception is also better on the SG2 than the iPhone. I'm sitting with 4-5 bars all the time, with my iPhone I'd get 2-3 if I was lucky.

7. Psood21 thread starter macrumors member

Battery seems to be working alright for me on sgs2. I bought the 4s but was very disappointed by the battery so i sold it to my friend.
    Later on i read, that might be a problem unique to few Iphone 4s's, so i dont know maybe i will buy another 4s. Currently i am pretty happy with the SGS2.

8. Oofie macrumors regular

I'm going to return my S2 tomorrow and get an iPhone.

I might just get the 4 if they don't have any 4s in stock. Battery only lasts for about 10-12 hours with light to moderate use (about 3 hours of display time on). But the real dealbreaker for me with the S2 is the keyboard. For some odd reason, I can't type on this thing properly. When I use my wife's ipod touch, I'm almost at 95% but only around 75-80% on the S2.

9. naths macrumors 6502

not a chance...am thinking about the Galaxy nexus though....

----------

plenty of other keyboards in the market....handcent,swift key...etc...

10. juswest macrumors regular

I'm thinking about returning my S2 simply because I don't like hearing I might have to root just to get the ICS update. The phone is fast, battery is decent 12 hours is fine. Unless the 4S is going 16. I don't have any problems with the hardware or software but I'd like the new update without having to alter the phone. I never jailbroke my iPhone for the same reason.

11. Oofie macrumors regular

I've tried Gingerbread kb, swift key and Smart KB, but still nothing :( I'm not sure if it's my fingers or what, but I also read about a few people on xda having the same problem.

12. naths macrumors 6502

lol..sausages??...you could always get a iPad or galaxy tab?..hehe..only kidding...

13. Oofie macrumors regular

lol, not really sausages but more clumsy. However, like I said, when using my wife's ipod touch, I'm much more accurate even with a smaller keyboard/screen.

14. naths macrumors 6502

i must admit the iPhone keyboard is very accurate...i use swift key and i personally find that just as accurate...

15. ijohnbro macrumors regular

You must like to squint to see your screen

----------

Lots of ship jumpers here lol

Would you guys jump ship from a Cadillac and put yourself into a Cavalier too? You little dickins you!

16. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

Had the galaxy s 2 unlock version and it was a great phone fast and actually like the middle button a la iPhone but man the battery sucks just like any other android device I had, I sold it before the 4S came out and is my iPhone 3GS which for some reason it felt better ha ha, anyways the sg 2 is a great phone I hated the resolution compare to the iPhone 4 tho and the screen a little too big (I preferred 4 inches like nexus s , and I hope apple goes for 4 inches ) mm if you happy with your SG2 is a great phone but don't count for timely updates ( the damn gs 1 for Verizon, tmobile and sprint haven't even get gingerbread after a year ????) so that's up to you if I would stay with android I will go for the galaxy nexus if not iPhone 4s , I do want to try a windows 7 phone tho I just haven't found a cheap one

17. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

I jumped ships from an original Galaxy S2 GT-i9100. I was able to sell it on eBay for $508 and paid the difference to buy me a 32GB non-contract and factory unlocked iPhone 4S.

18. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

How long did people wait for ios 5 from 4????

19. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

Is not about that we waited for over a year to get an update but at least on other phone has it exclusive for 4 months since it was announced , gingerbread came out last year in November , and finally we saw some OEM builds by may ( that's a long time if you ask me) and up to this date people still stuck in older updated it doesnt make any sense apparently windows is going in a different direction with mango updates . And not only that if you had a iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 you could actually get ios 5 2 days before iPhone 4s came out, that's good news , now they announce the galaxy nexus and they said the ICS won't come to the nexus s before the other phone gets release? Really? I call the BS , I'm still willing to try to get my hands on galaxy nexus but BS none of less

20. DanteMann macrumors 6502

Not a chance. But I will most definitely pick up a Galaxy Nexus and then a Galaxy S3. I've already given my IP4 to a family member, who now wants to sell it, to get a Galaxy Nexus. SumperAmoled combined with 300+ ppi and Ice Cream Sandwich ends it all. Truly amazing. Can't wait. Browsing on a 3.5 inch screen is a horrible web browsing experience. Once you get to a 4+ inch screen, anything less is just unacceptable. If the phone really is pentaband, then it's all gravy.

21. GiantSteve macrumors member

iPhone would benefit from SwiftKey

The stock iPhone keyboard has a better "feel" to it than most Android keyboards. SwiftKey is an amazing app... while it does nothing to improve keyboard feel it can literally save you about half of your keystrokes as its ability to predict your words is amazing... almost Apple like, if I dare say so. SwiftKey combined with the iPhone keyboard would be amazing.

22. juswest macrumors regular

But that's the entire line, I think it's weird that manufacturers would be that slow when the OS is already out. I was reading people who love android talk about how hell it may not actually come to the phone. That's for a lack of better words: wack as hell. I like the phone, it's not the bag of hurt many *******s insist. It's easy to use, the phone works but I like the look of the ICS OS and would like to use it. But I don't want to have to root my phone to do so.

23. grovertdog, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

grovertdog macrumors regular

If things are going to be so "truly amazing" with your Galaxy Nexus which you say "ends it all", why then do you have your next upgrade already planned? And for whatever it's worth, browsing the web on a phone blows, whether its a 4.3 inch screen or 3.5. Get real.

24. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Right, iOS is one phone. Android OS is on multiple handsets with all different hardware. No doubt it makes it a bit of a challenge. But often times Android phones already have features that iPhone users have to wait for in major releases (WWDC). Cut and paste, notifications, folders, multitasking, ect. iPhone users look at these spoon fed features and gloat but don't realize these have often been standard on other handsets running Android. So what are you gaining when iOS gets updated every year and the big thing is "folders" woo hoo, welcome to android 2009. I think what people forget is Android OS is only 2yrs old.

25. Bear807 macrumors member

I own both s2 and 4s and now Im getting rid of the s2. Both phone is very nice like the author I had every iPhone from launch day. iOS just gets to my habit of using it. Not that s2 is not good, it just the overall package isn't has enough factor for me to give up iOS. It crashes sometimes I understand that optimism such as rooting and flashing rom can be done and of course I follow that route as well. However I have notice all this wow specification doesn't live up to standard without proper apps to use the potential of it. All this specs wonder only limited to hardware use, as a geek user spec hardwares is not I what I want, I want software to able to unleash the power. Eg gaming. Until today android games still doesn't has such a wide category as ios. The problem is android have too much specification unlike ios it is standardize. I can assure the system will have a support for 2 years minimum. The battery on s2 is crap too, again I know u can solve it with optimise sw. But again what for you buy such a high spec phone and limit this and that. In fact I find the high MHz is kind of pointless, I'm able to run everything smoothly underclock at 400mhz, it does not really have drastic difference in os smoothness. Until android able to overcome this issues im not buying any high spec android. Mid spec or low spec android will do the job well!