Any sign of recession weakening in your area?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Apr 24, 2009.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Tonight I saw on the local news some bright news regarding tourism in Northern California. People may be spending more money again.

One thing I started seeing in these last few weeks is more traffic everywhere and that could be a good sign that people are shopping more, and there are more jobs. I don't know if this is just a regional trend or national.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I had to run up to my VW dealer after work today to take care of some paperwork for my new car and I noticed that there were quite a few people looking at cars. Who knows if they were buying anything or just kicking tires, but I guess it's a good sign compared to the Chevy dealer where I had to pick up my rental car at a few weeks ago (they have an Enterprise there). No one was in the lot or showroom and the salesmen were just standing around outside watching my mom and I like hawks as we pulled into the parking lot, I'm surprised they didn't try to sell us one of their crap buckets :D

3. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

It's LA. You see Beemers, Benzes and Audis every day. How am I supposed to tell? :D

4. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Hard to say if it's getting better but there does seem to be a general feeling of things not getting worse. The crazy spiral and negative talk has sort of waned a bit but maybe that's because people are just beat down so much to give it anymore of their energy. I'm thinking positive.

5. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

I think it may be easing a little. I agree with the other poster in the fact that it doesn't seem to be getting any worse and things seem to be picking up. Hopefully within a year things will be not quite so bad as they have been for the past few months. :)

6. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

I'm still waiting a day or two between loads due to a lack of freight. When things were good I knew what my next load was before I was finished with m current load.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I got kicked out of a bar last night. Does that count ?:p

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Watching the job boards as I have been these past few months, I'm starting to see an increase in postings for hiring. Not much, but a little.

I'm still not convinced we're recovering yet, but it looks to me like things are getting worse at a slower pace than they have been.

9. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

The job boards in the central mass and metro west seem to have a lot of employmnt agenies posting bogus jobs. People apply to them, these agencies collect them and then use them as bargining chips in the rates they charge companies looking for people.
    The jobs don't exist.

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I don't see any possibility of any bottom, yet, given how many houses are in foreclosure, how many ARMs are to reset this year and next, and the commercial real estate bankruptcies increasing.

I've been browsing for a vehicle upgrade, and one salesman commented that financing is a problem for many would-be buyers. Lenders want more down payment and better credit ratings.

Kunstler.com asked the question, "To what do we recover?" McMansions? Frou-frou spending at Starbuck's? SUVs?

The fundamental causes for this mess are still in play. There are trillions of dollars in debt to work down or write off before there can be any sort of re-start to growth.

A couple of good articles are http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200905/imf-advice and http://www.lewrockwell.com/swanson/swanson14.html

As long as the Fed and the Administration/Congress are following policies which have only been failures in the past, I see no way to find magic, now.

'Rat

11. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

What's improving a little is consumer confidence, but just a teeny tiny bit.

The consumer days of the USA are done and good riddance. Unfortunately, what that means for us (in the USA) and the rest of the world is a massive slow down in the worldwide economy. These jobs probably are not coming back anytime soon. We just need to learn to live with less and stop using credit for everything.

One positive thing about the recession is that our savings rate has finally started to rise. because people aren't spending what they don't have they are finally able to save a little......Those that still have a job.

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Here in north Texas, I've been asking around in my industry (engineering) and I'm hearing very, very little about layoffs. I still get contacted once or twice a week by headhunters. I don't think it hit us as hard as much of the country.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes. My company just won a huge national account. It's been along time since that happened. So I take that as a good sign.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think the recession is lessening over here in the UK.

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

That's good news - I'm glad to hear it!

16. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Over here in Reston, VA, (northern Virginia, just outside of D.C.) It was never as bad as other places but it seems to be letting up. There's still zombies all over the place though. Oh btw, the zombie apocalypse happened here, it's pretty annoying.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's REALLY good news. We were all beginning to wonder what was going on. Things are slowly getting better.

18. Queso macrumors G4

Both mortgage lending and retail sales were up in the UK in March. Although it's a very small crumb of comfort against a wall of bad economic data it does appear as if money is beginning to flow again.

19. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

This holiday shopping season will be the big test of confidence. I'm thinking that we will definitely start seeing the recovering by the end of 2010, though.

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I think once The Big Three have settled with the unions/gov't, and things have calmed down a tad, then things will start to perk-up.

21. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It would also go a long way for credit to start loosening back up - part of why car and home sales are down is because it's not as easy to get a loan as it used to be.

22. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Not to mention lotus, ferraris, lamborghinis and maseratis...

I was laid off almost 5 months ago (Architecture was hit pretty hard at the beginning of it all) and though I know of others around LA who lost their jobs, it doesn't seem like too much has changed.

I did notice that the local Audi dealership stopped renting space in our apartments parking garage to keep part of their inventory. They used to keep upwards of 150 cars parked down there, and now there are none. But whenever I go shopping it seems like not much has changed since I moved here 2 years ago.

23. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

:eek:

In MetroWest?

Seriously?

24. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Going through towns and malls in my region late last year and early this year, one thing I noticed, whether it was Christmas shopping or needs for early spring, was that the parking lots were as empty as the roadways.

These last two weeks now see way more people at the mall, parking spaces extremely hard to find, and bumper to bumper traffic even on very remote county roads. It took five minutes for me to pull out of a residential street curbside parking on a block with four businesses. Cars everywhere and almost as crazy as the good times.

Either the economy is pulling out of the recession here, or it's still just as bad and 100s of thousands of people have decided it might just be cool to drive around, window shop, and drive some more (but I kind of doubt that). People seemed very intent on getting places and purchasing stuff.

The grocery store fired their security guard since there was almost no measurable traffic. Now people are fighting over parking spots. Parking lot rage, scarcity of parking spaces ... now that sounds like a pretty serious turnaround where I am in the South Bay Area. On top of that, police departments are hiring like crazy to deal with the suddenly increased traffic volume. I hope this scenario plays out in small towns everywhere. I don't expect the recession to hit big cities as badly, so if small towns are starting to show increasingly positive activity, this could be the fastest pullout out of any recession in US history.

Only time will tell.

25. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

Half of the job losses in this recession (started in dec 07) have been since January.
    So the recession is going strong. It's like a storm, sometimes you just have to wait it out.

I felt like car shopping, and I'm and SUV guy (environmentalists, back off) so I went to look at the Yukon Denali. So I went to the GMC-Pontiac dealership I know and guess what... It was boarded up and out of business. The dealership seemed to be going strong like a month ago.