any speed tests of the new usb 3.0

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by garstudios, Jul 10, 2012.

1. garstudios macrumors member

I was just wondering if there were any speed test reviews/comparisons done yet of the USB 3.0 on the 2012 macbook pro non-retina or retina compared to its firewire 800. i found one that anandtech did back in 2010 on firewire 800 vs. usb 2.0 on a mac, but the usb 3.0 only included tests done on a windows machine. so i was wondering what the comparison is now that apple actually supports usb 3.0 and how much bandwidth they actually gave it. not that i really understand all the bandwidth crap, i just know that anandtech wrote in the comparison review that most of the board makers for the PCs out there werent dedicated enough bandwidth to usb 3.0 for it to be fully taken advantage of (at least back when they wrote the review in 2010).

i was about to buy some goflex usb 3.0 docks to replace my firewire 800 ones, just wondering if its a huge difference. not that it matters since i found the docks to be only $10 somewhere (bestbuy still has them for like $80 on their site).

anyways thanks.

2. g4cube macrumors 6502a

Try www.barefeats.com

There was a report a few weeks ago comparing various devices on the new Macbook Air. Macbook Pro should be comparable.

3. garstudios thread starter macrumors member

thanks, thats what i was looking for. to bad they did a thunderbolt goflex and not a usb 3.0 goflex....oh well.

makes me want the thunderbolt dock now....to bad they cost so much. i need 2.