Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tzhu07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
I'm using TurboTax to do my taxes and noticed that I recently received another software update.

Should I just hold out until I'm very close to the deadline before submitting? Maybe these updates will change some things up?

What are you folks doing? :confused:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
My dad already filed. The updates are just big fixes and the like. You won't benefit from them. They aren't going to change the forms last minute.

The only thing you would get from waiting is still having the money to spend then. :D

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL
If you owe, it makes sense to wait until the very last day. If you're being refunded, it makes sense to get your money back ASAP. You can always file an amended return in the unlikely event something changes.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
If you owe, it makes sense to wait until the very last day. If you're being refunded, it makes sense to get your money back ASAP. You can always file an amended return in the unlikely event something changes.

This. Wait to the last if you have to pay the government, no sense in sending it in early. If you are getting a refund send it in as soon as possible so you can make use of the refund.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004

I'm never in a rush to file when I know I have to send in more money

tzhu07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
I owe money to the IRS, but that doesn't compel me to file later. Really, it doesn't.

I'm more concerned if the IRS ever makes changes to the forms and calculations once we are into 2013. Or if TurboTax has ever had a history of miscalculating something very wrong.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing

Yep. Got my money back already:) and just in time to pay my property taxes:mad:. I filed as soon as I got my W-2. Since I'm the guy who does the W-2 for the company, I filed on January 2.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.