Any strategic reason to file taxes closer to the April deadline?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tzhu07, Feb 14, 2013.

1. tzhu07 macrumors regular

tzhu07

I'm using TurboTax to do my taxes and noticed that I recently received another software update.

Should I just hold out until I'm very close to the deadline before submitting? Maybe these updates will change some things up?

What are you folks doing? :confused:

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

My dad already filed. The updates are just big fixes and the like. You won't benefit from them. They aren't going to change the forms last minute.

The only thing you would get from waiting is still having the money to spend then. :D

3. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

If you owe, it makes sense to wait until the very last day. If you're being refunded, it makes sense to get your money back ASAP. You can always file an amended return in the unlikely event something changes.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This. Wait to the last if you have to pay the government, no sense in sending it in early. If you are getting a refund send it in as soon as possible so you can make use of the refund.

5. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

already filed and got my money back yesterday.

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I'm never in a rush to file when I know I have to send in more money

7. tzhu07 thread starter macrumors regular

tzhu07

I owe money to the IRS, but that doesn't compel me to file later. Really, it doesn't.

I'm more concerned if the IRS ever makes changes to the forms and calculations once we are into 2013. Or if TurboTax has ever had a history of miscalculating something very wrong.

8. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Yep. Got my money back already:) and just in time to pay my property taxes:mad:. I filed as soon as I got my W-2. Since I'm the guy who does the W-2 for the company, I filed on January 2.:)