Any suggestions for apps useful when visiting New York, Washington D.C. and Toronto?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Spanky Deluxe, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

As the title says, any suggestions? We're going to be visiting NYC, DC and Toronto soon and so any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm sure there are local transport apps i.e. subway etc but I don't know which ones to go for. I prefer pay apps over add supported ones.

P.S. I was going to post in the iPhone Apps sub forum but it looks like it's mainly used by developers to pimp out their apps to everyone rather than a place to ask for help.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

[URL="http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/find-a-metro-dc/id306864204?mt=8”]find a Metro DC[/URL] for Washington, DC. You’ll be totally set for riding the Metro.

3. 184550, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011

184550 Guest

If you're interested in finding out interesting information about the area you're currently in, check out Articles (US iTunes link). Uses your current location to grab relevant Wikipedia articles.

Also, I did my undergrad in the DC area and NextTrain DC Metro AR (again, US iTunes) comes highly recommended. I've never needed to use it, but I have a fair number of friends and family who use it. They've no complaints about it.

EDIT:

I noticed you've just asked for App suggestions, but might I suggest a visit to Old Ebbitt Grill? It is literally a stones throw from the White House and the US Treasury. The oysters are excellent and there is usually an interesting person or two (or three) to see. I've seen tons of DC based journalists and overheard numerous policy discussions between everyone from WH staff to K Street lobbyists.

An added bonus is the pleasure of seeing some of TRs old hunting equipment.

4. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions so far. All apps seem to be available on the UK iTunes too so all is good. :) Articles looks interesting. I should hopefully have data while out and about anyway with an ATT GoPhone sim I've cut down to size so that should work.

Thanks Nathan for the grill recommendation, sounds cool, definitely think we'll give it a try!

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Sorry, but find a Metro DC is much much better. I have both. Also, I’m an actual user. With find a Metro DC, you get a map, which you can touch to open any station and get the times for the next train to that station. It’s just so much easier to use.

6. 184550 Guest

Hence why I didn't personally recommend it and why I didn't claim one was better than the other. :)