Any thoughts of using the new Macbook Air 13 on the road vs using an iPad Pro with LTE?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by omelet1978, Nov 7, 2018.

1. omelet1978 macrumors regular

Hi,

I travel a lot and 2-3 nights a week I am staying in a hotel, so my only device right now is an iPad Pro 10.5 with LTE. The LTE in particular is useful since WiFi isn't always reliable. I'm tempted by the new Macbook 13 though, and I have unlimited data with Verizon so one option is to use the mobile hotspot feature for WiFi when I'm at a spot and the WiFi is spotty. The iPad I have is perfect for traveling, but not perfect as a day to day computer with iOS 12. I've tried having two devices (a laptop and an iPad) but in general I really don't like doing that, and prefer just having one device.

I was just wondering if there are any thoughts on this and if you guys would travel with a Macbook or an iPad.

Thanks!

2. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

I use my iPhone as a mobile hotspot when out and about and can surf from my MacBook using that. Works great.

3. DDustiNN macrumors 68000

DDustiNN

Do you find that there are things you’d like to do which cannot be done on the iPad? I mean, tasks that would specifically require a computer.

That’s really the only reason to switch. Otherwise the iPad is much better for portability.

4. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

I have to use InDesign when I'm on the road, and - as far as I know - there's no iOS corollary to be had. I have to travel with my MBP. The Air is attractive because of the smaller form factor (smaller, compared to the current 15" MBP) and the 1.25 lb lighter weight. I use my iPad Pro purely for consumption, so I travel with both machines. The Air would allow me to lighten my load a bit, and when traveling internationally, every little bit helps.