Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blazer5913

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
So I've been trying to do this for the past 3 days now, logging on at 10pm every night to pickup a black 16gb ATT phone from my local Apple store (Towson, MD) but I'm 0/3 in the "unavailable for pickup." Just wondering from people who have successfully done this, any tips? Or am I just doing this wrong? Best times to log on? Or does this thing even work? I just don't want to order online and wait the 3-4 weeks for shipping, but just not very optimistic with this procedure right now haha. thanks

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
be on 5 minutes before 10 until 5 minutes after. If you do not have luck, try again tomorrow.

appygirl82

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
Oregon
I have gotten 2 of them now on seperate days. Get on the site, make sure your logged in, put the item(s) in your cart and continue to "refresh" the page as it hits 10pm. Last night it took until about 10:04 that the stores showed available. I even had to close the little "locate" screen and pick the change model button and re-select the 32g, then it finally showed "in stock".

Main thing is be ready and logged in, that way you arent having to enter all of your info and CC info....that can make all the difference. The other night it went out of stock within a 5 min period.

Good luck :D

Blazer5913

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
Wow, I wasn't doing this so thanks for the tips! I'll be all ready at 9:55, with the cart updated and all info already in. And I'll keep trying until about 10:10pm. Just keep refreshing the store availability or what exactly to be refreshing?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Wow, I wasn't doing this so thanks for the tips! I'll be all ready at 9:55, with the cart updated and all info already in. And I'll keep trying until about 10:10pm. Just keep refreshing the store availability or what exactly to be refreshing?

If I remember, right next to where you enter your zip code there is a button...just keep pressing that b.c it refreshes the locations.

SwingOnThis

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2008
That whole 10pm to 4pm thing seems dependent on someone from the particular store keeping it current. I logged on at 10:10pm and nothing was available. Tried other stores too. The next day i went to same Apple Store when they opened and they had 20 iphone5s available, every carrier, both colors, 16/32/64. I had my pick.

PJF6387

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2012
That whole 10pm to 4pm thing seems dependent on someone from the particular store keeping it current. I logged on at 10:10pm and nothing was available. Tried other stores too. The next day i went to same Apple Store when they opened and they had 20 iphone5s available, every carrier, both colors, 16/32/64. I had my pick.

Wish I lived in your area...

They're a bit scarce here. I've been able to find 16 GB's in black the past two nights, but nothing else. 16 GB just doesn't cut it for me.

Side note: Is the in-store pickup feature currently not working for anyone else? It won't even let me check the inventory for stores at the moment.

Blazer5913

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
Wow, I wish I could have that access to those 16gb versions. Again tonight, was on at 10:01 (I set my alarm for 10pm and totally forgot about being ready early) but still absolutely no luck. And literally all stores within about a 100 mile radius are out as well; unbelievable to me. Anyways, I guess I'll just keep trying every night at 9:55pm. Aside from this, I don't know what else to do (other than check in store or wait for them to ship 4 weeks)

SwingOnThis

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2008
Wow, I wish I could have that access to those 16gb versions. Again tonight, was on at 10:01 (I set my alarm for 10pm and totally forgot about being ready early) but still absolutely no luck. And literally all stores within about a 100 mile radius are out as well; unbelievable to me. Anyways, I guess I'll just keep trying every night at 9:55pm. Aside from this, I don't know what else to do (other than check in store or wait for them to ship 4 weeks)

I don't know how far away from your apple store you are but i would seriously recommend you doing what i did, arrive at the store the minute they open and try your luck. I wouldn't depend on the website showing the actual inventory, i'd rather speak to someone in the store.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
be on 5 minutes before 10 until 5 minutes after. If you do not have luck, try again tomorrow.

To add to this, just because you didn't get one, doesn't mean someone beat you to it. The stores probably don't get shipments every day. Probably only a shipment every 2 or 3 days.

oscsjc

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2011
I went on just before 10pm. I put three phones of various colors and sizes in my cart. Just after 10 did a refresh and the availability came up. Found the one and store I wanted and removed the other phones.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I went on just before 10pm. I put three phones of various colors and sizes in my cart. Just after 10 did a refresh and the availability came up. Found the one and store I wanted and removed the other phones.

I'm going to try this 2nite. I only put one phone in my cart and that may be my problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.