Any users here spend hundreds of dollars on iTunes music?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kendo, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

I am guilty in the fact that I have downloaded music illegally. Not much, I probably have less than 1GB of pirated music (not trying to make myself feel better, but I know some people have tens or hundreds of GB worth).

I was doing some thinking and realized, even if I were to buy 100 songs, in the end that is "only" $130. Sure that is a lot, but how many of us spend that much on one piece of clothing, two Xbox 360 games, one fancy dinner, etc? In other words, it is an amount that we are easily accustomed to spending on other things.

And that 100 songs is roughly 6 and a half hours of entertainment that you carry with you throughout the day (at work, in the gym, on the bus, etc.).

Is there anyone who strictly buys all of their music legit and if so, do you buy from iTunes or Amazon?

2. Jason black macrumors regular

Hmmm I'm a broke college student, I don't have the money to buy music off iTunes lol. When I get a job, I'll get all my music off iTunes, but as for now, I'll keep uploading music off my friends computer.

3. csixty4 macrumors regular

I do buy/download all my music legit, but mostly from independent artists on Bandcamp and Scrub Club Records. When I do buy something, it's usually from iTunes for convenience, and Amazon when I can't find it on iTunes.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If I had to guess I'd suspect my wife and I have spent close to $3,000 on iTunes music.

When you break it down by month that's somewhere between $25 and $30 per month.

But compare that to CDs...that would have been 200 CDs, whereas we've bought the songs we wanted from many, many more albums than that. iTunes has saved us money over the long run (assuming we would have been buying CDs that whole time).

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I enjoy music too much to steal it. I have friends who are artists in the business, and their record labels have been hit hard. Not to mention the artists, and entire infrastructure as we knew it.

While change is good, and progress marches on, I don't work for free and I don't expect anyone else to. I pay for everything I have. Period. If I don't like the pricing I just don't buy it.

So yes I have far more than just hundreds of dollars spent via iTunes after all these years of iPods, then iPhones. It is what it is. iTunes is part of the Apple experience.

Amazon? Absolutely, I've spent a lot and will be spending more now with my Fire. The Kindles I've had as I've upgraded at each refresh. The reading experience is too good to bother with an iPad.

My iPad 2 is used for Web, email and other content. That's what it excels in. Side by side, you have to see how much better the Kindle display is for reading. But then again, it should be it's purpose built for that . I must have both types for the wide range of my personal needs.

6. dotme macrumors 6502a

Probably between $3000 and $4000 for me. I love music and admire the artists that create it.

7. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

Any difference between Amazon and iTunes for buying music? I did notice Amazon does have sales but for the most part, most new tracks are the same price as iTunes. I would like to keep everything uniform however.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yikes. I just pulled up my statement and filtered out iTunes... $1190.63! :eek:

It doesn't seem like that much when you're paying <$20 per album!

9. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I'm scared to look at mine for this reason...

10. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I've certainly spent over $1,000 since getting my first iPod about 5 years ago. I have a small collection of CDs (maybe 100 or so) that I ripped into iTunes too (BTW a lot were ripped at 128k when I was more concerned about hard drive space, and a ton of those just got upgraded to 256k with iTunes Match).

I meter my buying by getting iTunes gift cards every now and then. If I don't have money in iTunes balance I generally hold off buying music until I get some. It's just a way to keep my spending in check :)

11. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I've never looked at the exact figures, but I know I've spent thousands over the years. The past few have all been iTunes, Amazon and some Sprint music purchases, when I had my Android phone.

12. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

I don't work for free either, but I don't understand why a digital album at EMI etc has to cost me €25, where I often can buy CD's directly from an artist at 10-15, when they also have the cost of a physical cd and often really small production batches thus higher costs.
    And there is over here the idiotic tax on empty cd's that is to compensate artist for their royalties. I never use a cd, dvd or usb-stick to burn/copy music, i use them for work, but that doesn't matter. that combined with the law that downloading for own use is legal, but uploading isn't, doesn't give me a guilty feeling.
    Most of all, i don't download much music. Perhaps two cd's a year and if i like it and want to keep it, i buy it afterwards as I like to support that artist. I just don't like record companies.
    OTOH i have downloaded a lot of books as I couldn't buy them digital. they just weren't available in my language (Dutch)

13. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

All legit. All iTunes- OR- older stuff where I bought the CD's, and added them to my playlists as well.

More money than I care to admit!

14. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

I only pay for music from small/up and coming artists. The big-time ones are rich enough and make a killing from concerts. Also broke college student here.

15. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

The funny thing is, when you take a look at your DVD movie collection or Xbox collection of games sitting on the wall, do you ever stop and think "OMG, I spent $2000 on everything." I know I don't. If anything I feel proud of my collection.

I wonder why there is sticker shock when looking up how much you spent on a digital collection? Maybe because there isn't really anything to show for it even though you're getting the same content as physical discs?

16. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Several hundred?

Try several thousand. No regrets. I get more music per dollar from iTunes than I could anywhere else.

17. blkrazr-x1 macrumors member

blkrazr-x1

I would, but I like to rip my audio tracks at the maximum quality that iTunes allows (320Kbps I believe).

Good thing is that Amazon has most of the CDs I want for cheap and since I have amazon prime, it's free 2-day shipping!

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I feel proud of my 60+ HD DVDs at $2 each :cool:

19. Total Respray macrumors member

I don't buy the reasoning of all those contributors who complain that they are too poor to pay for music, when they are probably not too poor to have an iPhone or other Apple product. No sympathy from me if they get prosecuted for copyright violations...

20. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Yea I've spent a lot on music, lots, I definately believe in supporting artists even if I have issues with record companies.