Any Users of Apple Mail with HUGE Gmail IMAP accounts?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by machappyboy, Jul 1, 2010.

1. machappyboy macrumors member

Any Users of Apple Mail with HUGE Gmail IMAP accounts?

I'm switching to Apple Mail and am wondering if it will work with a Gmail IMAP account of 8 GIG and 80 folders?

Is this even worth trying to setup or will it just crash?

1. Will it freak out during sync and give me the "too many simultaneous connections" error?

2. Is it fast enough with such a huge IMAP folder or does it crawl?

2. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

My core duo macbook handles 15GB of email just fine across 28 IMAP accounts and 1 POP. Always leave it open and have it set to check for new messages every minute (in addition to me manually fetching).

3. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Mine always fetches multiple copies of any new message, which then never even show up in any of my inboxes.

4. machappyboy thread starter macrumors member

Saxon, where do your messages show up then? Do you like this behavoir -- I mean is the setup working for you?

5. machappyboy thread starter macrumors member

SDUB,
    1. Does Apple Mail by default check for new messages in ALL 200 folders or just the inbox folders of those IMAP accounts?
    2. How did you get AppleMail to download all copies and attachments of all 15GB? Mine is only fetching old mail when I click a message. I want everything on the computer, including all mail, as a backup. Any ideas on how to get it to do this?

6. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Mail is checking every single folder for me.

When you go to the "advanced" tab under account settings, under "keep copies of messages for offline viewing" I have either "all messages and their attachments" or "all messages, but omit attachments" selected. You probably have "only messages i've read" selected.

PM me if you'd like help over email, I check that much more frequently.