Any Video Cables coming for the 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snook911, Sep 25, 2012.

1. snook911 macrumors 6502a

I know Apple has made the shift towards Air Play for video to your TV but I don't have reliable internet at my house so I rely heavily on Apples Component Cables to watch videos and such from my iOs devices to my TV. I have other options besides my phone (iPad, Touch) to use with the component cables but I hope they make some new ones using the lightning connector.

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

According to numerous sources (The Verge and some others), they will be rolling out video adapters in the next couple months or so.

3. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK thanks. Sometimes Apple has a way of forcing you to do things there way (Air Play) by not making other options available. I hope this is not one of those times.

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I thought that too but there are major issues if Apple did that: people hook up their iPads/iPhones to projectors for presentations at places like schools/businesses. If the school/business didn't have Wi-Fi, or if the projector only had a VGA port or something, Apple would pretty much lose the appeal of using their iDevices for a lot of business folks.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Airplay doesn't have anything to do with the internet. It works without it, even.

Are you saying that you have problems with your wifi router not working properly? Is it far away from your TV or something?

6. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I thought that too but when I had the apple TV and hooked up with my home internet which is very slow (less then 1mbps, I know, but its the best I can do where I live) airplay would barley work and there was alot of buffering. When I hooked up to airplay through my wifes hotspot through tmobile it worked perfect but it did use the data from her phone plan and streaming uses alot of data so I can't use her plan to just Airplay all the time. If Airplay does not use the internet why does it take up so much data when streaming through my wifes tmobile hotspot on her phone?

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

None of this is making sense.

By "airplay" do you mean you're in a movie and you press the icon that looks like this and you pick your Apple TV from it?

That connects your phone to the Apple TV. There is no internet involved. Is that what you're doing?

8. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, thats what I did. I could not test to see if there was any data being used when I had it hooked up through the home internet but we watched a netflix movie through airplay using my wifes hotspot and it used almost 1GB of data. I checked the account before the movie and then after. Not sure if there would be a diffference using a hotspot or not. You can't set up the wireless network on the hotspot without the internet being on. So you are saying you can disconnect the internet from your wireless router and airplay will still work?

9. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

10. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I looked it up and found multiple articles saying Apple is making lightning to HDMI adapters. This would be even better the the component cables I have now. I can wait a few months. Just nice to know they are the way.

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes, that's correct. But I have no clue what that hotspot was doing, then. There was data flowing from your phone to your TV and not involving the carrier at all. So I have no idea where the 1 GB came from.

12. ivnj macrumors 65816

I tried the component red green and blue cable on (it was either 3gs or 4s I don't remember). But no picture ever came so we returned the cables. And they were official apple expensive cables. Even just photos or safari never showed up. I even talked to tech support and nobody had any clue.

They should just make thing simpler. I hope this time they just allow third party stuff.

13. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes those are the cables I have. They only work for video though you can't get safari or apps to come up on them. You can play your iTunes movies or things you have recorded on the phone with them. There is however a jailbreak app called TV in/out that mirrors everything thats on the phone. Home Screen, apps, safari whatever is on the phone screen is on the TV. That app was very useful. Can't wait to get the jailbreak back!!