Any way of transferring my OS to second hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jethro57, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Jethro57 macrumors newbie

I have two hard drives on my Powermac, one running Tiger the other running Panther. My dilemma is I think the one running Tiger, my main hard drive, is about to crash. I don't have Tiger on disc and was wondering if there's someway of transferring it to the my second hard drive. I have a lot of apps that won't run in Panther and I simply don't have the cash to upgrade. Any suggestions?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

3. Jethro57 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the links guys.

I checked out Carbon Copy but not the other one yet. I might attempt to do this with and old Imac via firewire first just to make sure everything goes smoothly. I was wondering, it's says with Carbon Copy it clones the entire contents of your hard drive to the other. So will it replace the entire OS? I guess what I'm wondering is after I do the initial transfer, will the second drive then boot up running Tiger instead of Panther and does the old drive essentially get erased or just updated? In the Carbon Copy read me file it only mentions cloning to another empty HD.

4. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

SuperDuper! is free, but it is limited -- no scheduling, no smart updates (which means you'll need to do a full clone every time), no sandboxes, no scripting support. But if you only need to clone once or twice a month that shouldn't be a big deal. It is well worth the $28 USD if you're going to keep your system up-to-date on a daily basis.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It clones by erasing the target drive and placing the contents of the source drive onto the target. It may either do a block-level clone or a file-level clone, depending one the source/target size differences.

6. Jethro57 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks flop,

I think you answered what I was wondering about. I just wasn't sure if it actually erased the target drive or not. I'm going to start backing up and give it a go. Got my fingers crossed.

7. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

You folks are great. Thanks for the information. Now, off to order a much larger and quicker new hard drive. :D