Any way to bring back app names in the dock?

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by blasto2236, Jun 10, 2017.

1. blasto2236 macrumors 6502a

I don't like that they're hidden. I already have a hard enough time explaining to some of my relatives where Safari is on their home screen without the name being totally hidden. I figured there'd be a way to toggle this in settings, but if there is I've yet to come across it.

Anyone else found a way to turn them back on and/or also really dislike this?

2. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

It's probably just a B1 bug or over sight. Be sure and ER it.

3. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

I am sure it's not a bug.....that was their intention.....will it stay, it's up to them, as usual :)

4. vbctv macrumors 6502

vbctv

Likely their intention because of the iPad dock being like the macOS dock now..

5. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

Here's another question: Is there a way to turn off the frequently used apps section on the right? I can't stand whenever there are "frequently used" sections like in Safari. This though seems especially annoying since they duplicate the same app icons found above the dock in the grid.

6. Feenician macrumors 68040

Feenician

Firstly, i don’t think it’s “Frequently Used” as such. More like recently used. I do agree it shouldn’t duplicate apps already in the dock though; pretty wasteful.

7. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

Have we seen examples of 'recently used' duplicating dock icons?

8. blasto2236 thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. Feenician macrumors 68040

Feenician

I've definitely seen it duplicate icons on that side. I never really looked into the why too much. It's unnecessary and unwelcome for it to duplicate an app there. The space would be better used for one that is already on there.

10. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

Definitely their intention. If you watched the WWDC session on designing app icons, they emphasized that “your app icon should be self explanatory and if there was no name below it, the user should know that it is your app.” (Rough quote but the idea is still the same).

Now will the names come back? Possibly, depending on number of Radar complaints or a change in design choice.

11. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Not if the app is already in the permanent Dock. For instance I just opened Mail and it's not on the right side. Safari is showing twice but for Mac access.

[​IMG]

12. Mr.Blacky macrumors regular

Since you can put much more apps in the dock and the icons beeing closer together, it would look like a mess if they would be labeled.

13. BritishApple macrumors regular

Ive had numerous instances of the icons in the "recently used" section duplicating icons already in the main body of the dock; Twitter, Safari, Facebook Messenger, and Spotify instantly come to mind.

Very wasteful.

14. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

It's probably a bug. Did you report it?

15. BritishApple macrumors regular

I have indeed. See the screenshot below, Facebook is duplicated.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 11, 2017 ---
    Here’s another question, is there a way to manually clear the “recently” used section of the dock?

Attached Files:

16. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Settings > Multitasking and Dock > Show Suggested and Recent Apps. Tick it off.