Any way to bring back app names in the dock?

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
I don't like that they're hidden. I already have a hard enough time explaining to some of my relatives where Safari is on their home screen without the name being totally hidden. I figured there'd be a way to toggle this in settings, but if there is I've yet to come across it.

Anyone else found a way to turn them back on and/or also really dislike this?

Reactions: S G

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
I am sure it's not a bug.....that was their intention.....will it stay, it's up to them, as usual :)

myrtlebee

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Here's another question: Is there a way to turn off the frequently used apps section on the right? I can't stand whenever there are "frequently used" sections like in Safari. This though seems especially annoying since they duplicate the same app icons found above the dock in the grid.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Here's another question: Is there a way to turn off the frequently used apps section on the right? I can't stand whenever there are "frequently used" sections like in Safari. This though seems especially annoying since they duplicate the same app icons found above the dock in the grid.
Firstly, i don’t think it’s “Frequently Used” as such. More like recently used. I do agree it shouldn’t duplicate apps already in the dock though; pretty wasteful.

eoblaed

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2010
Firstly, i don’t think it’s “Frequently Used” as such. More like recently used. I do agree it shouldn’t duplicate apps already in the dock though; pretty wasteful.
Have we seen examples of 'recently used' duplicating dock icons?

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Have we seen examples of 'recently used' duplicating dock icons?
I've definitely seen it duplicate icons on that side. I never really looked into the why too much. It's unnecessary and unwelcome for it to duplicate an app there. The space would be better used for one that is already on there.

mariusignorello

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2013
Definitely their intention. If you watched the WWDC session on designing app icons, they emphasized that “your app icon should be self explanatory and if there was no name below it, the user should know that it is your app.” (Rough quote but the idea is still the same).

Now will the names come back? Possibly, depending on number of Radar complaints or a change in design choice.

Mr.Blacky

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2016
Austria
Since you can put much more apps in the dock and the icons beeing closer together, it would look like a mess if they would be labeled.

BritishApple

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2016
Not if the app is already in the permanent Dock. For instance I just opened Mail and it's not on the right side. Safari is showing twice but for Mac access.

Ive had numerous instances of the icons in the "recently used" section duplicating icons already in the main body of the dock; Twitter, Safari, Facebook Messenger, and Spotify instantly come to mind.

Very wasteful.

canesalato

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Ive had numerous instances of the icons in the "recently used" section duplicating icons already in the main body of the dock; Twitter, Safari, Facebook Messenger, and Spotify instantly come to mind.

Very wasteful.
It's probably a bug. Did you report it?

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
Settings > Multitasking and Dock > Show Suggested and Recent Apps. Tick it off.