Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KettyKrueger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
UK
I currently have the Apple TV working perfectly with the power on the TV. However, the volume controls both the TV and Sonos.

Is there any way to just have it control the Sonos? My TV a Panasonic Plasma with Viera Link.

Thanks

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
Here's the link to the Playbar manual. Go to page 10 for remote setup instructions.

http://www.sonos.com/documents/productguides/en/PlaybarGuide_EN.pdf

Let me know how it works. I have a Playbar setup in my family room, and the only box we use is an AppleTV v3. If I go with a new ATV4, it would allow me to use just the new remote, and use my Harmony remote elsewhere (the Harmony is overkill for my current setup).

KettyKrueger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
UK
Thanks for that. I've managed to turn the volume off the TV using 'hotel' mode. But I still get the volume display on the TV, very annoying. What I need to do is get the Apple TV to learn the Sonos volume buttons, but I think when you learn a new remote, it only works over IR and the Sonos uses wifi.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Thanks for that. I've managed to turn the volume off the TV using 'hotel' mode. But I still get the volume display on the TV, very annoying. What I need to do is get the Apple TV to learn the Sonos volume buttons, but I think when you learn a new remote, it only works over IR and the Sonos uses wifi.

Yeah, the Siri remote will only control a device over HDMI or via its ir transmitter. There's no other option for it.

Actually, now that I think about it, doesn't the PlayBar have an ir receiver on it. What model Sonos do you use?

Last edited:

KettyKrueger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
UK
I have the Playbar which has IR passthrough, so you can control your TV if the Playbar is sat in front on the TVs IR sensor.

I need to send a Sonos volume command to the Apple TV via IR!

Yeah, the Siri remote will only control a device over HDMI or via its ir transmitter. There's no other option for it.

Actually, now that I think about it, doesn't the PlayBar have an ir receiver on it. What model Sonos do you use?

eyebeebe

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2015
I have the Playbar which has IR passthrough, so you can control your TV if the Playbar is sat in front on the TVs IR sensor.

This solution will only work if you have a Harmony or other programmable remote. I have my Harmony set up to control the volume on my Sonos Playbar. I used the "Learn IR" option on the AppleTV and followed the instructions to press the volume up and down buttons while the remote is in "control Sonos" mode. It works perfectly now - the Playbar accepts IR inputs as well as being able to pass through.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland

Couldn't you just set the Siri remote to directly control the volume of the Sonos. Running the TV setup routine and train the Siri remote directly to the Sonos?

If the Siri remote is already controlling your Tv as well you can un-train it by first training the Apple TV to some other remote that isn't your television. Then run the Sonos setup and train it to respond to the Siri remote.

josh bear

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2010
All

I have a play bar linked to my lg oled screen. My TV has sky hd and the Apple TV as inputs so obviously I have used the sonos instructions to train my sky remote to control the sonos volume.

When setting up my Apple TV remote I just used the sky remote as the source controller and the Apple TV remote learnt from that. The Apple TV remote now controls my sonos playbar.

It was very easy

Josh

Last edited:

KettyKrueger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
UK
This solution will only work if you have a Harmony or other programmable remote. I have my Harmony set up to control the volume on my Sonos Playbar. I used the "Learn IR" option on the AppleTV and followed the instructions to press the volume up and down buttons while the remote is in "control Sonos" mode. It works perfectly now - the Playbar accepts IR inputs as well as being able to pass through.

I do have a Harmony remote but that doesn't seem to work. When I put it into 'Sonos' mode, the button presses are not detected.

KettyKrueger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
UK
All

I have a play bar linked to my lg oled screen. My TV has sky hd and the Apple TV as inputs so obviously I have used the sonos instructions to train my sky remote to control the sonos volume.

When setting up my Apple TV remote I just used the sky remote as the source controller and the Apple TV remote learnt from that. The Apple TV remote now controls my sonos playbar.

It was very easy

Josh
But doesn't the remote also control the TV volume?

josh bear

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2010
But doesn't the remote also control the TV volume?
No. The lg audio settings are set to optical out only. The volume graphic appears on the screen but the sound only increases from the sonos.

Check you to audio settings. On my old plasma I had to activate hotel mode to get it working the way I wanted. Not a big thing to do.

Josh

KettyKrueger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
UK
I've managed to sort this out.

First, I grabbed a TV remote for the TV upstairs and used the Sonos app to teach commands to this remote. Then used the Apple TV to add this new remote for volume.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.