Any way to copy lots of small files faster?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Spanky Deluxe, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I need to move a lot of simulation data from one of my internal hard drives to an external one. It's only about 750GB but is made up of a lot of smallish files (about 800,000). Using the standard drag and drop copy it's saying it's going to take 24 hours. :(

Any thoughts on a quicker method? I've seen it mentioned online that tarring it all up and untarring it on the other drive might be faster but I'm lacking on space on the drive where the files are (maybe tarring straight to the external drive would work and then untar it there?)

2. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I would look into using rsync (bring up Terminal and type: man rsync).

3. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I'll give rsync a shot - it'd be more restartable anyway although I won't have a time estimate but the calculator and a get info on the drive should be able to give me that. :)

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

For what it's worth, that 8MB/sec, which isn't really that much off from what I'd expect for 1 Megabyte files. I see about 3x that for just reading small files like that from a FW800 7200 RPM drive. Since you are reading and writing (albeit the reads are internal) it would be a bit slower, and slower still if the external is USB or either drive is slow.