Any way to disable Lion's disconnection from a network when you sleep a machine?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by alexreich, Jun 18, 2012.

1. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

I've noticed this on my Uncle's iMac (2010). Whenever you put the computer to sleep, regardless of if you're connected via Wi-Fi or Ethernet, you get disconnected in Sleep mode. Then once you wake the computer from sleep there's a bit of a wait for your computer to get re-connected to the network.

For instance, if I unsleep this iMac, then immediately go to Safari and try to pull up a web page, I get a 'blablabla you are not connected to the Internet' Safari window. Or, if I wanted to pull a file off another networked drive, I get something like 'networked drive not available'.

Any ideas on how to sleep a Mac running Lion without it shutting off it's networking capabilities?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, when any Mac sleeps, nothing is running, including network access. You just have to be patient and give it a few seconds after waking before trying to access the network. Or just don't let it sleep at all.

3. alexreich thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexreich

Alright. Guess I'll tell him to just sleep his displays with the keyboard shortcut then. That's what I do on my G4 server. I have system sleep set to never, and displays set to 15 minutes.