Any way to disable multitasking?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jj47, Sep 25, 2012.

1. jj47 macrumors regular

I previously had an original iPhone now I've moved up to an iPhone 5. This whole multitasking thing is new to me and it's annoying as hell. I don't want to have to keep holding icons and then clicking the little minus arrow in order to completely get out of an app.

My question - Is there any way to completely disabled multitasking? Thanks

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No, and that list isn't always a list of open apps, just recent apps.

3. Captainobvvious macrumors 6502

Why are you compulsively closing all the apps down?

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Most of the apps in that tray are recently used but not currently running. You don't have to close them all down. The ones that are currently running only have specific services running, like mail checking or audio playing or GPS still tracking you.

5. jj47 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not, I just don't like having to close all the apps down properly or delete them from the bar when I've been on my phone for a minute or two.

6. Jman13 macrumors 68000

This?

The only time I force close an app is if I need it to restart for some reason, or in some cases it's easier to do that to shut down a navigation app than 'exit' it properly. Everything else...it just freezes the state, then gives the resources back to the phone. You don't need to close all your apps when you go out of them. The only thing you're doing is forcing the phone to completely reload data when you go back into an app (thereby actually decreasing battery life by increasing processor usage).

So, to sum up...you do NOT need to close down all your apps. They aren't hogging resources when they are in the multitasking tray. This isn't Android (where you DO need to clear them out from time to time or they bog the device down).

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You don't have to, the majority of them aren't doing anything. But to answer your core question, no you can't disable it.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

9. jj47 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks for the answers guys. I'm glad it isn't draining the phone of power but if I could I would disable it. Just personal preference. Maybe they'll be a jailbreak tweak in the future.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

No one has disabled it yet, but something I used was an SBSettings toggle that removed all apps from that tray with one press. Its either that or you use Activator to disable te opening of that tray. That way you will never know if any apps are there.

11. Jman13 macrumors 68000

You'll change your mind the first time you're listening to music on Pandora or the like and you realize you can actually do other things with your phone without stopping the music, or you are copying and pasting something from one app to another. I would never have a phone without multitasking now.

12. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50