Any way to download Podcasts w/ WiFi?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mrhockey123, Oct 22, 2007.

1. mrhockey123 macrumors regular

Since there are new apps that do everything from etch-a-sketch to tracking a woman's "cycle" you would think there would be a way to get your podcasts through wifi!!

I can't seem to find a way even though there's an app that SAYS it will be able to do this.

DOes anyone know of an app that works and helps you download podcasts through wifi? I usually take a few days to kill my battery and I don't like charging it when it's half dead so I'd like to get my podcasts through wifi.

Thanks guys

2. TripleX macrumors newbie

Go to your installer.app and download the app called Mobilecast. That is all there is to it.

3. mrhockey123 thread starter macrumors regular

how do you use the app? I downloaded it before and it didnt do anything

4. mrhockey123 thread starter macrumors regular

i have the RSS feed now for CNET's buzz out loud podcast and im trying to DL the latest episode but i jsut get the spinning progress wheel and it's been going for a while - is it supposed to do that? where does the eipsode go when it's downloaded? is it smart enough to go into itunes library? or will it end up somewhere else? when i sync my ipod, will the podcast get re-downloaded through itunes since it's subscribed there too?

5. dearye macrumors member

It always takes a while, and you play the file through the app, not through your itunes library.

6. mrhockey123 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks it did (eventually) download. Took a good 10 minutes at least though..
    I'm VERY VERY happy and I will probably end up disabling my Buzz Out Loud feed in iTunes and just rely on this RSS version so I can get it whenever.

Man I am going to cry like a little girl if / when apple locks down 1.1.1
    My addiction to the Touch has increased dramatically since I got mail and Apollo working on it. Now that I've got the RSS (podcast) downloader, this thing is perfect.

Now if only we could edit word docs lol...

7. Tom Servo macrumors newbie

With this ap, can you save the podcast? Or can you only listen to it, then it's gone?

8. mrhockey123 thread starter macrumors regular

It saves it!!!
    I was wondering the same thing, so after I downloaded it, I killed wifi (turned it off) then went back into Mobilecast. The podcast I had downloaded still had a green dot (or blue - forget) to indicate I had downloaded it. WHen I clicked on the podcast, it began to play without issue!

Only annoyance is there's no volume control while playing - unless I just didnt find it. Also, not sure if you can actually FF or RW but in most cases I just listen to the podcast. It has a big pause button so you can always pick up where you left off.

Very nice!

9. jcs1088 macrumors regular

press the home key twice to bring up the volume contorls

10. mrhockey123 thread starter macrumors regular

wohoo!
    let me grab a stick and get ready to fend off Apple from messing with my perfect iPod lol

11. Tom Servo macrumors newbie

Do the saved podcasts get synched to your iTunes once, you connect the Touch to your computer?

12. Dignon macrumors newbie

Personally, I've taken to using Podcast Pickle:

http://launchrz.com/links/show/342

The graphics are *horrible* and the interface kinda sucks, but you can play podcasts that you subscribe to at PodcastPickle over wifi. Even video podcasts. There is also a top 100 list of audio and video podcasts the browse through. Certainly not perfect, but interesting none-the-less.