Any way to fix the Password on Screen Sleep so that it actually works?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by OzyOly, May 11, 2011.

1. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

Hi, at the moment, I'm running an admin account with a password. I have security set up so that when the screen goes to sleep or a screensaver comes on it asks for my password.

Sure enough after a screensaver/screensleep it asks for my password, but all I have to do this is to select 'cancel', the screen goes back to screensaver/sleep and when I move my mouse or press a key I have full access to my mac again.

Kind defies the point of password protecting your mac...:confused:

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Which version of Mac OS X are you running? I cannot reproduce this on either of my Macs (one running Leopard, the other Snow Leopard).

3. OzyOly, May 11, 2011
    Last edited: May 11, 2011

OzyOly thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm running 10.6.7.

I 'think' I've figured out how to reproduce the bug;

Under security settings > general > set your require password after display sleep or screen saver to 5 seconds.

Next set exposé hot corners so that one puts your display to sleep.

Activate that hot corner so that your display sleeps.

The system will ask for your password. Select 'cancel' and it'll send your display back to sleep, but if you move your mouse fast enough (within 5 seconds), your screen will wake up and the system will not ask for your password. ;)

I'm going to make a youtube vid to show you what I mean incase you can't recreate it...

Edit - it seems to only do it 'some' of the time. It's one strange bug. I'm going to repair permissions and see if that fixes anything...