Any way to force MBP to choose 2.4 or 5 GHz network when SSID is the same?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by joe-h2o, Nov 3, 2014.

1. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

This sort of question has been asked before, but for a home network. So I'll start by saying that I cannot change the SSIDs of the networks - this is for an enterprise wifi network with multiple APs that have a mixture of 2.4 and 5 bands running. I do not have access to modify this, but it's my work network so I need to connect to it.

The problem: the MBP keeps deciding that one or other of the access points has better signal than the other and so it switches between them, causing periods connectivity loss.

Is there a way to tell the MBP to ignore the 2.4 signals and only connect to 5 GHz APs, or vice versa. Either one is fine (both are fast, decent signal etc), but they compete with each other for top dog and it is causing issues.

Is there any solution to this? The IT admins here have made some adjustments to the power level of the APs in question, but getting them to broadcast different SSIDs *is not* a possibility.

2. NoBoMac macrumors 68000

Supposedly this has worked in the past. No personal experience, so, use at own risk. Replace values with appropriate for your setup.

Code:
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Resources/airport -A'NETWORKNAME' BSSID='nn:nn:nn:nn:nn:nn' password='PASSWORD'
    Option-click the wifi icon and select "Open Wireless Diagnostics". Then Wireless Diagnostics > Window > Scan. Hopefully will get a list of access points. If not, exit program and restart (doesn't always take, and clicking the "Scan" button causes an empty list [bug]). Will see BSSIDs list for above.

Probably have to delete all previous "definitions" of the AP before doing this. And after done above, maybe turn on "Ask to join new networks" to prevent hoping to other local AP. Might make your machine drop connection if you pick up and move to a different part of the building/campus.

Like I said, use at own risk.