Any way to get my school email on my phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrat93, May 7, 2008.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

At school I use MS Outlook to access my mail and anywhere else, I use MS Outlook Web Access. Is there any way I can get this on my iPhone? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

No offense, but this is basically a kind of dumb question.

1) If Outlook has a web-based client, then any phone that can browse the internet will do it, but it will be ugly and small and hard to use like all internet mail clients on a phone are.

2) An email account like you get through your school is just an email account. You can view in in Outlook, Mail, Eudora, or whatever. So any phone that has an email client that you can put your account data into will also probably work.

3. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Your school most likely uses Microsoft Exchange for it's email if you use Outlook Web Access to get to it. The current iPhone software doesn't really support exchange without some weird IMAP tweaking. The 2.0 software coming out next month does support Exchange, but your schools IT department may have to do some special stuff on their end to get it working. Best to ask them if they will allow you to have mobile exchange access once the 2.0 software is released.

As Virgil-TB2 mentions, you could always get to Outlook Web Access through Safari on the iPhone.

Not necessarily. Some organizations block POP3 and IMAP to the outside. The college I work at does this, only way to get email from outside the college intranet is through Outlook Web Access or through a mobile exchange client. As always, your IT department will have the info you seek.

4. qtip919 macrumors 6502

Since you are using outlook Web Access, you are definitely using Exchange. And from the looks of that screenshot, I am going to assume that your school actually uses Exchange 2007, but I am probably wrong as some of the UI is looking a bit dated, which might mean you are on an Exchange 2003 server.

Activesync is the feature of Exchange which allows you to use an iphone with Exchange server. Activesync is a protocol which Microsoft has licensed to Apple. Apple is basically in the process of modifying their iphone software to be able to utilize this protocol. In this, you will be able to not just get mail, but more important - contacts, and calendar for that matter (also tasks...but who uses tasks???)

So, in the end, you will just need to ask your IT staff if they have:

1. Enabled activesync
    2. If they are on Exchange 2003 or 2007 (2007 has more security policies)

Also, if they havent enabled activesync - ask them why not. Activesync is perfectly secure, and its basically a switch that just gets turned "on"

If they have allowed OWA, there would be no reason not to enable Activesync.

5. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

The image that the OP attached is consistent with OWA on Exchange 2003.

6. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

My school uses Exchange, and my email works fine.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've added my school's email webpage to my home screen and "poof" my password and ID in a matter of seconds. I'm good to go! :cool: