Any way to get rid of Mission Control

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Plughugger, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Plughugger macrumors newbie

As a music producer and old Windows user I've always been utterly careful when updating to a newer version of an operating system. While my experience with Macs are that they cause less problems than with (at least older versions of) Windows - the mantra 'don't try to fix what's not broken' runs in my head.

Anyway - a couple of weeks back I did update to Lion from Snow Leopard on one of my laptops just to see how it was. While most of my experience was positive - the new Mission Control is horrible. I can't even see what the miniature screens contain any more - they are way too small - and I haven't found a way to make them larger.

Since I am basically working on six different "spaces" at a time - this feature is critical for me. I know what prior SL there were some products creating virtual desktops.

Does anyone know if there exists any other virtual desktop solutions for Lion?

2. Paradoxally macrumors 65816

Not exactly...Mission Control is baked into the OS.

'Downgrade' to Snow Leopard.

3. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

That's UPGRADE to Snow Leopard.

4. Paradoxally macrumors 65816

It's not upgrade. It's 'revert'. Also, I put downgrade in quotes because it's not really a downgrade if you get your workflow back.

But it is never an upgrade.

5. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

In this case it is as Snow Leopard is the superior OS.

Lion is Apple's Vista.

6. Plughugger thread starter macrumors newbie

Sticking with SL is the best choice then? I remember that there were a bunch of alternative solutions for virtual desktops before Leopard (or was it SL?). Then they all ceases to exist or be supported.

To your knowledge - are there any virtual desktops - such as Spaces - that work with Lion?

/C

7. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Multiple virtual desktops is not something I use so I'm OK with Lion. However since you only purchased Lion recently, why don't you give AppleCare a call? You do realize you get 90 days AppleCare with any paid OS upgrade, right? In the best scenario, perhaps they have a workaround for you. And even if they can't make things better for you, at least you can register your complaint directly with Apple.

8. klaxamazoo macrumors 6502

The ReSpaceApp underdevelopment looks extremely promising.

http://switchstep.com/ReSpaceApp

The developer currently has the Grid Overview functioning and is working toward an Expose solution.

9. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

You might want to look into "Window Tidy" in the App Store.

Fully customizable quick layouts, snap to layout, independent grid size for each layout, single or multiple monitor support. Basically, a great alternative method of organizing your windows. Clearly an easy to use app for power users. Plenty of positive comments in the app store as to its quality, noting improved productivity and desktop organization which sounds like something that would be extremely useful to you.