Any way to just sync old texts to new phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by x-evil-x, Sep 22, 2012.

1. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

i dont care about much else like pictures or apps. i have diskaid and can get them off my phone to the computer but how can i put them back on without restoring from an old backup?

2. UnbornApple macrumors regular

UnbornApple

iCloud backs up your old text messages.

I know when I got my new iPhone 5 all of my conversations from my 4S were there.

3. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

4. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Yes, but I think it would back up and restore EVERYTHING, right? Not, just texts

5. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

im not sure. i just dont want to transfer anything from my jailbroken data to the new phone.
    when i plugged in the new phone and restored it the dialer was still black(not white) and the battery percentage was on(turned it on under my jailbreak) and it was off in settings. so i know some stuff is getting transfered i dont want.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

7. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

8. nostresshere macrumors 68030

9. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

seems possible with software. im just not paying 25 bucks for the software. anybody else have experience with ibackupbot?

10. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I use software that extracted my text messages and converted them to a PDF file. Then I put the file back on my phone. Uses much less space that way and great for archiving. I think it cost $25. Worth every penny.

11. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

whats it called?

and does it put them back into sms app just like before?

12. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

It's called Phoneview: http://www.ecamm.com/mac/phoneview/

No, it does not put the text messages back on the phone in the traditional sense but as I said, the text messages can be converted to a PDF file and can be viewed when needed. The program also archives voicemail and call logs.

I was like you. I had all of my text messages stored on my phone since 2007. After a while, I noticed they were using up a lot of space and the backups to the phone were taking longer and longer (text messages are part of the backup). With this program, I was able to clean everything out and still have access to the text messages in a much smaller format.

13. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

It can be done, but it requires either a jailbreak or that you backup your phone to your mac, modify the backup to only contain the sms database, and then restore that backup.

14. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

how would you modify the backup?

15. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

Find out which file is the sms db, then edit the backup plist to remove all other files.

I haven't done this in a while though so the process may have changed.

16. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

figured it out with ibackupbot. just follow these steps and restore using that program.

put all my old texts on my new backup then restored it. had to copy the texts from a previous library like it says to do.