Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
UK
This is a minor thing that is bugging me, I use playlists mainly but wondered if there was any way around this.

When i listen to music in iTunes (Grid View) it shows me all songs for the artists I click on based on album artist.

If I listen to music on the iPhone (iPod Touch also) it only goes via the artist, not the album artist

eq, If I listen to Eminem in iTunes I can easily play all his songs, If I try on the iPhone its split up, Eminem & D12 does not appear under Eminem, it is classed as a seperate artist.

iTunes List view and iPhone work the same (based on Artist)
iTunes Grid view works based on Album Artist

How does anyone else deal with this as sometimes I like to just listen to all songs by a certain artist

Is a playlist the best way to go ? or amend the artist field to be the same as album artist

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
on the iPhone if you goto artist then click shuffle. It will play all songs by the artist. If you go album then shuffle it will play songs from that album.
iTunes and iPhone see the same information if one album has Eminem as the artist and anothe album has Eminem & D12 then iTunes treates it as a different artist.

You can create a smartplaylist to have both together.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Cheers

Looks like playlist is the way to go

Shame that List View (iTunes) and the iPhone use Artist and Grid View uses Album Artist

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
UK
If anyone is interested I have found a way around my problem

Setting the Sort Artist to the same as the Album Artist makes List view and grid view display things the same

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.