Any way to make it so YouTube is always in landscape?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Aug 9, 2013.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

Almost all other functions on the iPhone are easier to perform in portrait, yet watching videos is almost always better in landscape and often a good part of the screen is cut off when in portrait.

It's a hassle and inefficient to have to unlock rotation to switch back and forth every time you wanna watch something.

2. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

the only way would be if the app itself supported that feature.

it does not.

3. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

4. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Ya since iOS 4

5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I've only ever used iOS 6 outside of playing around in the store, so bear with my ignorance.

6. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Lol no worries.

7. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

The other alternative would be to leave the screen orientation unlocked until you require it to be locked. I find the times I need to lock orientation is much less frequent than when I need it unlocked.

Leave it unlocked as default.

8. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Really? I need it locked 99% of the time, it's 100 x easier to hold the phone vertically and impossible to hold it horizontally with one hand

9. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

Why do you need it locked at all? Just hold the phone in portrait mode. When you need landscape mode just tilt the phone. I have never needed that locking feature. I really don't get why it's there. Just hold the phone the way you intend to use it.

10. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

The only time I use it is if I'm reading an iBook while lying down.. I want to read portrait and if I'm lying on one side it reverts to landscape. Very annoying.

11. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

Oh I see. I don't read books on my phone. If I did, I would lock it too.

12. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Because if I don't lock it it switches back and forth on me, especially when laying down...as the poster below me said.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

but given that you typically only lie down and use your phone in a way where that might play a role only a few times a day and likely even less than that, seems like the orientation lock is mainly only needed a few times a day (if not less than that) compared to when it's not really needed. It seems like that's what another poster was kind of pointing out.

14. Baggio macrumors 6502

It's useful on the iPad, but not as much for the iPhone. This is just from personal use of both devices. I tend to want to lock the orientation on my iPad, but not so much on the iPhone.

15. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

No I want it to stay in portrait most of the time as it's the best and easiest way to use your phone (one handed). If I don't it jumps around.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

How does using the phone one-handed make it jump around? I guess that's something that I and pehaps some other posters might be missing.

17. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

This may be helpful information:

iOS7 allows for quick screen lock and unlock from the bottom widget (whatever they are calling it) which is literally available from every screen, including the lock screen.

Attached Files:

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Control Center