Any way to not have an imessage default to text message

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macgrl, Apr 2, 2013.

1. macgrl macrumors 65816

Hello all,

Is there anyway to know whether a message will be sent by imessage or by regular text on the iphone before you send it?

Does it try to send via imessage and then default to text after sending if it can't go by imessage? What determines which method is used - does wifi / 3g connection make a difference?

I'm thinking of iphone to iphone here - if you are sending iphone to ipad I am guessing you don't get it sent via normal text?

I was sending messages to a friend in France most of which went via imessage and so where free (iphone to iphone) some then must have gone by normal message and so I ended up with a charge :( it wasn't too much but would like to know how it works.

Many thanks

I'm on o2 in the UK but I don't suppose that matters much

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Settings > Messages

There's a lot of options in there, you should read them all and figure out which way you want them all set.

3. macgrl thread starter macrumors 65816

Excellent..thanks so much.... "send as sms when imessage is unavailbable" is now set to off!

Does that mean that when I am sending to another iphone that no message will get sent unless imessage can get through? What I mean is if I want to send a normal text to an iphone I will have to turn "send as sms..." back on?

Much appreciated:)

What factors will determine if imessage is available or not? Is it basically and internet connection of some sort?

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Pretty much. Usually it's temporary. It will come up with a red ! and 99% of the time you just try again by hitting the ! a few seconds later and it will work the 2nd time.

5. macgrl thread starter macrumors 65816

Cool..thanks and so to send a normal sms to an iphone I would need to turn the use sms if imessage doesn't work back on

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

With that option toggled off basically if you iMessage an iOS device and it fails to send it'll have a red ! Next to it you tap that and it'll offer you the option of trying again or sending as a text so your in control.

However if the send button is green when you tap it ( if its a non iOS device or iOS device that's got iMessage set to off etc) it'll send as a SMS

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Or just turn iMessage off entirely at the top for that.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

No need if it fails you get the option to send as SMS

9. macgrl thread starter macrumors 65816