Any way to perform an iphone 3g backup while its in recovery mode?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by wireless-toyz09, Jun 22, 2010.

1. wireless-toyz09 macrumors member

Hello, my iphone 3g isnt getting past the apple logo. It just turns off after about 20 seconds. Is there any way to perform a backup of everything or access the system files while it is in recovery mode? Because i can get it in recovery mode successfully:confused::confused::(

THANKS

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If you're jailbroke, maybe, if you can SSH into the phone via OpenSSH and Terminal. I'm not sure if you even can in restore mode though. If not jailbroke, there is no possible way.

Why not try a restore in DFU mode?

3. wireless-toyz09 thread starter macrumors member

I am jailbroken and unlocked on 3.0. I have never installed a ssh password or anything like that though. I need to get my data off the phone before i restore (seems like the only way for the phone to actually boot) because i haven't done a backup in a long while.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Well, even if you could SSH into the phone (like I said, not sure you can in recovery mode), you wouldn't be able to since you never installed OpenSSH. So, you're SOL.

In the future, the first thing you should do after jailbreaking is install OpenSSH. The next thing is you should then change the root and mobile passwords. See the first page of Cydia for help with this.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Try irecovery.
    Sounds like you're in a boot loop.
    Then if it boots up you can back it up.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

And then add OpenSSH. :D

7. wireless-toyz09 thread starter macrumors member

Well i thought a boot loop was when the phone restarts by itself and comes back on to the connect to itunes screen. My iphone just shows the apple logo for like 25 seconds and then turns off. It doesn't turn back on by itself. Do i still use iRecovery for this issue?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, what you have is a boot loop.
    If it shows the connect to itunes its in recovery/restore mode.
    Run iRecovery.

9. wireless-toyz09 thread starter macrumors member

iRecovery doesn't run on my computer for some reason. I have windows xp. I installed libusb first like the instructions said but when i open iRecovery, it immediately closes.:confused:

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Maybe try another computer.
    Nothing else you can do besides restore from your old backup and lose what you had up to the minute.
    Thats why backing up your phone thru itunes often is a good idea.

11. wireless-toyz09 thread starter macrumors member

Tried iRecovery. Did not work. :(:( Just apple logo, then turns off after 25 seconds.