Any way to recover an app from iPhone that was deleted from library

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by g35, Jul 8, 2011.

1. g35 macrumors 6502a

I have the VLC app which has since been removed from the App store. I wiped my computer and backed up the important stuff but stupidly forgot the VLC app. Now it exists on my phone and nowhere else. I haven't synced to new computer yet because I do this infrequently anyway, so it's still on the phone but if I try to sync it will delete all apps+media from the phone first. Is there any way to recover it with some read-only program from my phone (without jailbreaking) or is my only recourse to jailbreak and copy it over?

2. jeejeebu macrumors regular

Did you try transferring purchases? I'm not sure if it will work, but it's worth a shot. Right/two-finger/ctrl click on your iPhone in iTunes, and select transfer purchases. I make a habit of doing that before syncing, whether I have a new app or not.

3. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

It doesn't show up on the "purchased" tab? Weird. Try doing what the user above said, it's worth a shot, but the VLC app is free so you should be able to re-download ;)

4. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Or not...

5. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

6. Shawnpk macrumors 6502

I've updated to iOS 5 so I can't remember if it is available in iOS 4 or not, but if you goto the App Store on your phone, goto Updates, there should be a "Purchased" option. From there you can redownload any apps you have previously purchased, even apps no longer in the app store.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

That isn't true for eWiFi.

8. Shawnpk macrumors 6502

What isn't true for eWiFi?

9. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

You can't re-download it since it's been removed. The distinction seems to be whether the app developer pulled the app because they no longer wished to sell it, or if Apple pulled it because it violated some law or App Store policy.

To answer the OP, if your iPhone is jailbroken you can do this:
    http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/2008/08/04/how-to-add-ipa-apps-to-your-iphone/

The guide is for installing cracked apps, but it tells you where installed apps should be, so you should be able to recover VLC through that method. I've never tried this myself, but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Good luck!

10. g35 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the replies. I'lll look through the purchased list but I suspect I'll have to jailbreak it.