Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rugia007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Hey guys
I have a jailbroken iphone and i accidentally deleted a conversation (all texts) from a particular contact last night.
The last time I backed up was last week, so I will still have a lot of texts if i restore from backup.

However there were some pretty important texts since then and I would like to retrieve them back.
I have SSHed into the phone and extracted the sms.db to my computer. I did a search for the contact's number in question and i cannot find it. Does this mean it's deleted forever?

I also can't find a backup of sms.db on my iphone.

IF for some reason the texts ARE gone forever, then I will have to suck it up and live with the backup texts i have from last week.
However I am confused on the process of restoring that so I would like someone to help me step by step with it.
Thanks!

rugia007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Thanks decipher for the idea.
I was looking through the SQLLite Database Browser and I don't see anything. I SSHed into my phone and grabbed the sms.db as fast as I could.

Here's the thing: you were right about the Text editor being able to catch the number. However the messages are...well...garbled. how do I fix this?

Thanks so much!

P.S. i know a lil SQL. but if i merge my old backup sms.db with the new one would i still lose the "newer" messages?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.